Thread: Right Click menu with keyboard

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Right Click menu with keyboard

One feature of Windows I can't live without is the context menu (brought up by right clicking on the mouse). Just imagine what you would do if you lost this service all of a sudden because a mouse died for some reason... Luckily this function can be done with the keyboard too - as long as you know the trick. ;-)

It's pretty easy to bring up the context menu on the keyboard, all you have to press is Shift + F10 and you're set. Use the directional keys on the keyboard to scroll through the different options and you should be set. This tip is great for those of you who are more the keyboard type, and would prefer not to use the mouse as much.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Dehc, that is one of the best shortcuts ever... love it. I guess I can use my MAC OSX mouse for the PC, and press shift+F10 Cheers.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

WooHoo - I agree with Cash_Site, invaluable.

That is such an obviously brilliant short cut - I'm embarrassed I didn't know it already

Thanks Dehcbad25

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    U R Welcome
    As always stolen tips

That trick only works for the Desktop's (DT) context menu itself. To get at the Taskbar's (TB) and INDIVIDUAL desktop icons's context menu with the keyboard only, to use Dehcbad25's trick, use the following procedure:

Hit {Ctrl + Esc} to activate the Start Menu from the keyboard, then hit {Esc}. The focus will be left at the SM's Start button. {TAB}s will then take you into the Taskbar's running programs, and then through its constituent submenus, wherein arrow keys will navigate within any program icons and sub-menus active there. {Tab} all the way through the TB, and focus ends up on the Tray (Notification Area), and then jumps to the Desktop, where arrow keys navigate through its icons, whose context menus can be invoked with Dehcbad25's trick.

To move keyboard focus directly to the DT (w/o the mouse, and DT visible no programs obscuring it), hit {Ctrl + Esc}, {Esc}, then {Shift + Tab}, to navigate with arrow keys.
    Last edited by Berserker; April 26th, 2005 at 18:43 PM. Reason: Typo

Titanium Member