Thread: help i cant get past login on longhorn

help i cant get past login on longhorn

i cant get past the login screen, it goes back to the same screen everytime i try to get in,and the shutdown doesn't work when i click on it, i can get in in safe mode though, its build 4029. has this happened to anyone else?

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Per your Private Message.

Why not get your hands on a newer build of longhorn like 4074. It seemed to be the most stable and offered the latest and greatest.

Next question is this, if you cannot upgrade, then how long have you been running 4029? Has it always had this login problem, or did it just start doing this? Have you tried to repair the installation?

If you having been using 4029 past the trial period and don't have a legitimate key, then it will in effect lock you out of Longhorn. Usually, but not always it will give some activation screen..

Sounds like maybe your trial period has expired and a timebomb disabled you from logging into longhorn.

if that is the case, i'd suggest reinstalling or upgrading if possible.

id like 4074

but at the moment i have 4029,it sucks , i know, anyway i haven't used it since i installed it so how could it have self destructed? i run xp on 1 drive and me on another and did a clean install of longhorn on a 3rd drive using the xp installer, what i cant figure out is why wont it let me login yet it will in safe mode

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by evil dikk
    but at the moment i have 4029,it sucks , i know, anyway i haven't used it since i installed it so how could it have self destructed? i run xp on 1 drive and me on another and did a clean install of longhorn on a 3rd drive using the xp installer, what i cant figure out is why wont it let me login yet it will in safe mode
    The installation has a timebomb. So lets say you installed it 6 months ago, 180 days. Haven't used it at all in those 180 days.. Tick tick. You login today. Boom.. timebomb goes off, you cannot get into your login. The timebomb was built into the code. Usually it goes off at 180 days, but I have seen them go off at 14 days, 30, and even 60.

The timebomb is a way to stop people from using Longhorn for long durations. After all these are not beta releases, they are alpha or even pre-alpha. They were never meant to go public and certainly are not meant to be used as a primary OS. Just something to tinker around on.

As for getting into safemode, it bypasses the normal login routines thus allowing you a safe way to get into your OS and get files/fix/repair your OS. In this case, I think the only way to fix it is to try to reinstall or to upgrade. Once the timebomb goes off, I don't know of a way or recovering from it. That is not to say it isn't possible however.

you must enjoy having all that knowledge

thanx 4 taking the time to help, i really wanna let u know that it meant alot, anyway, im gonna try to reinstall and if that dont work, well the only other info that was at all similar to my problem that ive found was a guy said he couldnt login to build 4029 that was installed on a virtulal machine or something , but said that he was able to on a clean install, im wondering since i used the xp installer and not a disc that might be similar. ill let u know. thanx 4 your time..........EVIL DIKK...P.S. CHECK OUT MY MUSIC ON artistgigs.com .......find EVIL DIKK.....I HAVE 2 SONGS THAT YOU CAN DOWNLOAD 4 FREE