Thread: Flashget adware/spyware

Bronze Member

Flashget adware/spyware

i can use flashget - no problem.

what gets me is when i use "pest patrol" - it tells me i have *adware* all over my registry. i counted over 75 insertions.

is there a way to use flashget without all the added adware?

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cityman
    is there a way to use flashget without all the added adware?
    Yup, by buying the product for $29.95!

Bronze Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hotmale
    Yup, by buying the product for $29.95!
    i have the bought registered version; it still happens. perhaps pest patrol -- oh well, c'est la vie.

Try reading your EULA and make it sure. If you find nothing, it might be just false alerts. BTW, why don't you try LeechGet, my fave download manager? It's free and 100% clean

Bronze Member
    i will look it over. i get the feeling that pest patrol gives false negatives on flashget.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Why are you so sure the pests came from spyware installed from Flashget?? Does pestpatrol say the registry entries are from keywords of Flashget?

Have you had any other spyware cases detected on your computer, eg, CoolWebsearch, toolbars, general shareware/freeware apps ??

How did you purchase Flashget and which version? Did you install the shareware version and upgrade later?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Bronze Member
    a long time ago, i was using a purchased downloaded version 1.40(?). after using pest patrol and it would find plenty of flashget- adwares. consequntly i never used it again.

much later on, listening to a friends opinion, i reconsidered and i used his version 1.65 retail version. experimenting with it- i found the same problem existed. so i uninstalled it

but then i decided to check the "false positive" theory and realized i would first use spybot, spysweeper and/or ad-aware and they would not find flashget. then i would use pest patrol. pest patrol would find all the flashget registry enteries involved.. including the flashget directory and identify them as adware. and if i deleted it all the recommended enteries (which i did) there was nothing left of flashget- i ended up actually uninstalling the entire program. so when it deleted the flashlight directory... that is when i started to think that pest patrol is actually giving false positives.

try it yourself. check your own flashget with pest patrol. without deleting its found adwares, try your own spy programs. i think you will find false positives.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Well... not sure... I have Retail version of Flashget 1.65 and pestpatrol, i have done several scans in the past and it never came up...

Now... when you say you used retail version, did you pay for the registration? If not, then i think that is the version that is full of adware.... I think there are actually 2 versions... one you download after purchasing, the other you install then register... the later is full of adware.... not sure though.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Bronze Member
    the retail had no advertising in it. i had tried the adware free version and got rid of it asap. <grin>

anyway, i think i will try leechget. it is free.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I use leechget and it works great.