Thread: Regedit at starup in W95

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Regedit at starup in W95

I have a problem I couldn't fix easily.
    I installed Norton Antivirus in my grandmother's PC and after that everytime the PC is restarted the Registy editor opens at startup. I am not sure if Norton produced this, but I am not only interested into stoping this to happen, but also to know why. It is not loaded in the startup programs, and Win95 Doesn't have MS config, any suggestions?
    Also, any theory why this happened?
    This is a strange case. I never hear of this happening, and I can't say for sure it was created by norton.
    Just to make it clear, the Norton Antivirus was clean since it was an Original retail Box we bought just for this PC (it is a office PC), and Norton 2002 doesn't support W95, so it installed Norton 2001 instead. Any more details I will try to do my best

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Some thoughts

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm

1) Windows StartUp folder - Windows 95/98/Me/NT/2000/XP

If you click on Start -> Programs -> StartUp you may find programs loading from here via shortcuts. If this is the case, you have two options :-

Delete the shortcut from C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp via Windows Explorer or My Computer or

Create a temporary directory in C:\Windows\Start Menu\Programs called "Disabled StartUp Programs" and move the shortcuts there. If a program doesn't work as expected you can always move the relevant shortcut back again

2) System Configuration Utility - Windows 95/98/Me/2000/XP

Windows 98, Me and now XP all include this feature. The Windows XP version also supports Windows 2000 and you can obtain it here or here (in the "Software" section). You can also get versions for Windows 95 http://www2.whidbey.com/djdenham/Msconfig.htm or http://www.micro-solutions.com/tech_...ocs/2922.html.

This is a handy utility that enables you to disable individual programs at start-up. You can invoke it by clicking Start, and then click Run. In the Open box, type msconfig.exe. Once displayed, click on the "Startup" tab and something similar to the following should be shown:-

Have you tried removing Norton and seeing if the problem disappears? Give that a shot. Remove Norton completely. Go into the control panel, and add/remove programs, and get rid of NAV. Also, go to your C:/programs folder and delete any and all Norton/Symantec folders.
    Further you might want to get reg cleaner and clear any registry entries made by NAV.

YOu can also try a free Virus program called AVG. My university used it, great program, they update the virus definitions on a regular basis!

To temporarily abort all StartUp folder launches, hold down the Shift key as Windows opens. Programs listed in the StartUp folder won't open this time, but will be there next time. To selectively launch these unopened programs, open the StartUp folder and double-click on any icon.

It's been a long time since I have used windows 95, but I am thinking there might be a startup folder that directs programs to startup on boot, you might want to try to find that folder and delete any entries made that you dont want to startup on boot.

Further, you could always upgrade to windows 98se, if the PC can handle it.

YOu might also want to try windows 98lite.
    http://www.litepc.com/index.html

BB
    Last edited by Big Booger; May 22nd, 2002 at 01:43 AM.

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't know I could include a system config util. in W95. I was getting ready to roll up my sleeves and check the .INI files
    I did check the Start up folder. That was my first place to look, but nothing there, so my guess is that it is being called in the .INI files.
    I will try the utility possibly tomorrow, and let you know what happens.
    If that don't fix it there is another programs calling it. I guess it will be fix just with the util.
    Still it get my lost why this happens

well, it didn't apperar in the list, but when I unselected all the programs at start up it didn't load, so I knew if must be one of them. I begun loading 2 programs per erboot until I found the one that opened regedit. I don't remember right now the name, but I am sure it wasn't regedit.
    I don't know how that reached there either But it was there