Thread: CD & DVD Spin up / down repeatdly

CD & DVD Spin up / down repeatdly

Hello-

I definately have a compounded computer problem. Lost the ability to boot from my RAID array and when attempting to reinstall the OS, I realized thet neither my CD or DVD would load windows XP (or any other program). The CD and DVD both would repeatedly spin up / down. They are on the IDE controller, with the same power and controller cable. I replaced the controller cable, but this didn't help. I've also tried hooking only one up at a time & I also tested a new CD R/W, but this too faulted. To-date, I've:
    -Replaced the IDE controller cable
    -Replaced the drivers, by installing a new OS.
    -Fired on CD or DVD up a time
    -Installed yet another CD-R/W, but this had the same problem

At this point, I suspect there remainds (3) possibilities:
    -faulty power cable.
    -MB IDE controller bad
    -corrupt Bios? Is that a possibility?

What could cause this problem, where my drives start, but can't spin up? And then they spin-cycle, spinning up and then down.

I'd appreciate any insight..thank you..

Scott
    Core2 2.40GHz, 1066 FSB; MSI 975X Platinum V.2 975X , BIOS 7.5; 4x1GB Corsair DDR2-800; 600W Zalman Heatpipe; 1x250 GB Seagate SATA-2 + 2x750 GB Seagate SATA-2, RAID1 + 1x 750GB Seagate SATA-2; 2x SONY DRU-830A DVD/CD Combo; MSI GeForce 8600 GTS; Samsung 245BW; VISTA-Ultimate

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Sounds like the motherboard or PSU to me. Do you have another PSU to try out?

Not the Power Supply

Conan-

Thx for the suggestion. It wasn't the powersupply. I bought a new one and tested and this didn't resolve the problem. I swapped motherboards and my CPU is now dead. So I'll get a new CPU, hope the MB boots, and report back when I have more info. Thx.

Scott
    Core2 2.40GHz, 1066 FSB; MSI 975X Platinum V.2 975X , BIOS 7.5; 4x1GB Corsair DDR2-800; 600W Zalman Heatpipe; 1x250 GB Seagate SATA-2 + 2x750 GB Seagate SATA-2, RAID1 + 1x 750GB Seagate SATA-2; 2x SONY DRU-830A DVD/CD Combo; MSI GeForce 8600 GTS; Samsung 245BW; VISTA-Ultimate