Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ok I'm converted!

ok I'm converted!

Downloaded Firefox finally last night for the first time... THIS PROGRAM IS FRICKEN GREAT!!! I'm normally someone that if I find something that works fine and suits my needs I don't usually look any farther. well I've seen so many people rave about this program and "tabbed browsing" I had to give it a try... my only regret.... not trying it earlier. this browser is the shit!

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I like you when it works why change and thats why I've been using opera for a few yrs. love the tabbed browsing.

Thumbs down

I really don't understand what's so great about FireFox or Mozilla. I've tried them both but I honestly don't see why everybody is worshipping them.

Avant rules

I find it to be faster, less of a burden on the system while running, the tabbable browsing is the shit. over all seems to just run a lot faster and stress free then IE. at least on my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by hotmale
    I really don't understand what's so great about FireFox or Mozilla. I've tried them both but I honestly don't see why everybody is worshipping them.

Avant rules
    A few of the reasons why I use Mozilla:

1. Start Mozilla with all of the pages I go to each time I go online loading in one operation.

2. Right click on a web page or image and send it to a friend via email.

3. Open an email and want to creat a filter. Click Message>create filter from message then click desired action. Everything has been filled in automatically.

4. Great popup blocker. Need the page you are on to allow a popup you can change it on the fly.

6. Set and change cookie settings on the fly.

7. Translate a page from a foreign language by clicking Tools and then Translate.

8. Print on a page too small. Click cntrl+ to instantly increase the font size.

9. Personal tool bar for your most frequently visited sites.

10. And I almost forgot the junk mail manager.

11 thru 99. Mozilla products are more secure than IE. You know that when a vulnerability is discovered in Mozilla or Firefox. It will be fixed.

Biggest disadvantage to using Mozilla. Lynchknott doesn't adapt his themes for use with Mozilla.
    Last edited by efc; September 24th, 2004 at 19:47 PM.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Titanium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hotmale

Avant rules
    Well..sorry, your opinion does not count for my selection. Speaking for myself, I am the one using the browser and I like it. I am sorry you cannot or refuse to recognize the differences. But it's your taste and I cannot argue that. To each his own.

I honestly don't see why everybody is worshipping them
    Have you ever stopped to think: If so many are raving about Firefox, then maybe they are seeing something that I am not?
    It could be tabs for one, or extensions for another - but what draws me in is the fact that I can customize my browser to my exact specifications. It's like building a Harley - many do not understand the relationship between man and his custom build. It becomes your masterpiece, your art, your baby, an extension of self - and you develop a relationship in a way that I cannot even describe. As they say, "If I had to explain, you wouldn't understand"

Lynchknott doesn't adapt his themes for use with Mozilla
    Are you kidding? hehe, i'd have to add 4000 more icons for the suite that I don't even use!
    Last edited by lynchknot; September 24th, 2004 at 20:13 PM.

Thanks everyone for posting replies.

Quote Originally Posted by efc
    A few of the reasons why I use Mozilla:

1. Start Mozilla with all of the pages I go to each time I go online loading in one operation.

2. Right click on a web page or image and send it to a friend via email.

3. Open an email and want to creat a filter. Click Message>create filter from message then click desired action. Everything has been filled in automatically.

4. Great popup blocker. Need the page you are on to allow a popup you can change it on the fly.

6. Set and change cookie settings on the fly.

7. Translate a page from a foreign language by clicking Tools and then Translate.

8. Print on a page too small. Click cntrl+ to instantly increase the font size.

9. Personal tool bar for your most frequently visited sites.

10. And I almost forgot the junk mail manager.

11 thru 99. Mozilla products are more secure than IE. You know that when a vulnerability is discovered in Mozilla or Firefox. It will be fixed.
    #1 is available in Avant
    #2 #3 & #10 are nifty but I don't need it much
    #4 is available in Avant
    #5 oops, there is no #5
    #6 isn't available in Avant yet, perhaps in the coming version 10. In the mean time, I've got ZA Pro taking care of that
    #7 is available in Avant
    #8 you can press Ctrl and use scroll to change font size in Avant and IE
    #9 is available in Avant
    #11 is IMO the only significant plus point, but as Mozilla users increase, it will perhaps become even more targeted than IE. Secondly, with proper security measures, Avant (IE) can be almost as secure as Mozilla. I have never found BHO's or hijackers take over my browser, never.

Here's why I use Avant:
    Enable/Disable pictures, flash and pop-ups with one single click.

Enable/Disable applets, scripts, ActiveX, videos, sounds, ads blocker with 2 clicks.

Browse with tabs.

Comes with its own easy-to-use one-click cache cleaner.

Ability to search quickly from any search engine you want.

You can recover all opened pages in case of improper shutdown.

Anything that works in IE, works perfectly in Avant.

And the killer feature is URL Alias. Now, by typing "tz" in the address bar, I can go to Techzonez. Or by typing "tzf" I can go to the forums. You can add as many as you want. I've become so used to it, that I can't live without it anymore.

There's another feature I don't use, but many might be interested in knowing. Avant is available in 40 languages.

http://www.avantbrowser.com/

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I have no beef with FireFox users as I use it myself too. But what I found out is using CableNut makes Internet Explorer faster than FireFox.

My only complaint with FireFox is it's pretty slow when loading a page with lots of thumbnails. I hope you guys know what kind of sites I'm referring to.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Firefox is top notch in my book. I've been a convert for a while, though I have used Mozilla, Opera, and even Netscape

Titanium Member
    [no offense please]This is Cardriver's "ok I'm converted!" thread. Why has it turned into a A vs B debate? I don't care about any other browser no matter how much I hear about it. Believe me, I have tried them all - including Avant (IE), there is nothing anyone can tell me about any other browser that I don't already know.

Ok well, I stated why and it has nothing to do with speed nor pre-packaged features. If speed is an issue perhaps one of these may work for you: http://www.moox.ws/tech/mozilla/
    Last edited by lynchknot; September 26th, 2004 at 01:46 AM.

I have come to realize that if you are a person who likes to worry more about their computer's hardware than there internet browser, than a browser like firefox is better because it is fast and secure out of the "box." But, if you have extra time and you like beefing up every part of your rig than a browser like IE is better because it can, over time, be made to be fast and very secure.

Personally, I prefer Netscape I have been using it from the beginning. But, recently I have learned that Netscape doesn't support links in marquees. Here's the context, I made an internal web site for some odd reason and I put a home button in a marquee, it appeared in IE but not Netscape. Marquees without links are supported though. I don't need help just pointing out a draw back.

browser preferences are like condom preferences. Everyone has their own favorite brand and features they like.. Some like french ticklers, others like lubricated.. some like ribbed, some like sheep skin.. others like spermicide...

Much like the coke and pepsi thing. As long as you are happy, enjoy the one you use. But don't hestitate to try another.. you never know.

Titanium Member
    sheep skin?

3. Natural or Sheepskin. Despite their name, "natural" or "sheepskin" condoms are in fact made from animal intestines. They are just as effective against pregnancy as polyurethane or latex, however they do not offer good protection against STDs. They cost two to three times as much as latex and are not as widely available. Oil and water based lubricants can be used with them. For couples merely seeking an alternative to latex and protection against pregnancy they are worth a mention.

From the SEX PROJECT

I think sheepskin is used with couples who maybe have an allergy to latex.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    browser preferences are like condom preferences. Everyone has their own favorite brand and features they like.. Some like french ticklers, others like lubricated.. some like ribbed, some like sheep skin.. others like spermicide...

Much like the coke and pepsi thing. As long as you are happy, enjoy the one you use. But don't hestitate to try another.. you never know.
    Enough said. I yield to the master.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition