Thread: GDI Scanner Released

Titanium Member

GDI Scanner Released

GDI Scanner Released

This is a preliminary diary, and will be updated throughout the day, as the situation warrants, due to the possibility of a rapidly emerging exploit, or worm, we are releasing this early.

Over the last 24hrs, several exploits taking advantage of the JPEG GDI vulnerability (MS04-028) have been released. We expect a rapid developemnt of additional exploits over the next few days.

Tom Liston has put together a scanner, which will scan your systems for vulnerable versions of the GDI libraries you can get it at http://isc.sans.org/gdiscan.php This program should have an MD5 checksum of (91ff45c6158e77eb57fbf6fbe38f05d1)
    More info: http://isc.sans.org/gdiscan.php
    Last edited by lynchknot; September 25th, 2004 at 23:04 PM.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    So this tool is used to find files that might be vulnerable to this particular exploit? I am giving it a go now.

Is this the same sort of tool that was released on the MS update site:

Download size: 214 KB, less than 1 minute
    The Microsoft GDI+ Detection Tool helps detect the presence of Microsoft products (other than Windows) that contain the GDI+ component. Microsoft customers can run this tool to help determine if a GDI+ security update is required. Microsoft recommends you visit the Office Update site to determine if your computer requires security updates for Office family products.

?
    Last edited by Big Booger; September 26th, 2004 at 00:14 AM.

Titanium Member
    Well, here's MS's tool (I could not go any further because I received an error: iexplore is not a valid win32)

and here is this tool:

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Also a GDI scanner found in my post here as well, if you follow the link to the original article. Most likely the same scanner...