Thread: How many days off

Question How many days off

Since this is a board with members from all over the world, it could be interesting to ask this.
    It is sometimes subject for discussion here in this country, because some say we have more then most other countries, while some say we have far less (then other european countries at least)

So it would be very interesting to hear how many days off (or days free) from work you have in your countries from you who live there and know for certain, to compare

Here in norway we have 5 weeks summer-holidays
    -In Christmas and new year we have 4 days: half Chr. eve and day 1 & 2
    and half NYeve and first day

-in Easter we have 3 days: thursday, friday and monday (second easterday)

and then we have Whit-monday, acsension day and 1. may ( labours day), 17.may (national day) .the 2 last only if they are on weekdays of course

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    8 here in England:

New Year's Day
    Good Friday
    Easter Monday
    Early May Bank Holiday
    Spring Bank Holiday
    Summer Bank Holiday
    Christmas Day
    Boxing Day

If like this year Christmas Day and Boxing Day fall on a weekend the following Monday 27th and Tuesday 28th are classed as the public holidays. Similarly if New Year's Day falls on a weekend the following Monday is classed as a public holiday.

You might find this page useful Bank Holidays Of The World

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Triple Platinum Member
    you'll probably see why our economy sux once u finish reading this:

as a student i get-

summer vacation- 1 month
    winter vacation- 2 weeks
    national holidays- 3 days
    religious holidays (obligatory)- 3 weeks
    holidays for exam preparation- 1.5 months
    bad weather holidays- 1-1.5 weeks a year

my grandfather says that as the additional solicitor general of india he has more holidays than working days...lol

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    The time off where I work is actually determined by the business needs. We are open 24-7-365. Our corporate end does get "normal" or typical holiday schedules, but the -grunts- just get what we can get.

Quote Originally Posted by rik
    The time off where I work is actually determined by the business needs. We are open 24-7-365. Our corporate end does get "normal" or typical holiday schedules, but the -grunts- just get what we can get.
    Ok I see. I suppose "grunts" means ordinary workers ("..on the floor" as we usually calls it)?

Yes I have understood that these things are somewhat different in the US. When I was there last year I asked a christian dentist about this - and he said that they did not get summerholidays the same way we do in european countries. Dont know if I understood him completely right, but he said something like; sometime they could get a week or two if they asked their leaders or something like that.

Thanks Reverend for the link!

These are public holidays and does not include normal holidays which I think in the average job is 2 weeks a year.

Everything in Australia (including the pubs) shuts down on most of these days.

New Year's Day
    Australia Day
    Good Friday
    Easter Monday
    Anzac Day Holiday
    Labour Day
    Queen's Birthday
    Royal National Show
    Christmas Day Holiday
    Boxing Day

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Here in the land of the rising sun, we get quite a few. I am an educator of sorts, so indeed it is not at all indicative of all Japanese, but here goes:

If you are planning for business travel to Japan in 2004, you should
    be aware of the Japanese Public Holidays. (Besides having your
    business card translated to Japanese)

Jan 01 -- New Year's Day.
    Jan 12 -- Coming of Age day or Young Adults Day.
    Feb 11 -- National Foundation Day.
    Mar 20 -- Spring Equinox.
    Apr 29 -- Nature Day.
    May 03 -- Constitution Day.
    May 04 -- People's Day.
    May 05 -- Children's Day.
    Jul 19 -- Day of the Sea or Marine Day.
    Sep 20 -- Respect for the Elders Day.
    Sep 23 -- Autumn Equinox.
    Oct 11 -- School Sports Day.
    Nov 03 -- Culture Day.
    Nov 23 -- Labor Thanksgiving Day.
    Dec 23 -- Emperor's Birthday.

The following days are not official national holidays but you are
    not likely to be able to schedule any business meetings on the day.

Apr 01 -- New School year starts, job changing and office moving
    day.
    Aug 13 \ Festival of the Souls. (Wed Thu Fri)
    Aug 14 -- This is the period when Japanese visit the graves of
    Aug 15 / their ancestors.
    Dec 28 -- Last working day of the year for most office workers.
    Dec 29 (see above)
    Dec 30 (see above)
    Dec 31 (see above)
    Plus as a teacher I get off 12 paid holidays, 20 sick days, and the entire month of August off. I further get a full 2 weeks during winter break and another nearly 2 weaks at the end of March.

Yes thats quite a lot Big Booger! By the way, I heard some stories about the Japanese working day being very long, something like the whole day - and that they usually are having dinner together with the working mates, and then continue working to late in the evening. Is that true?

There is also something of course, possible difference in the working hours.
    Here we have 7,5 hours a day and 5 days working-week. An ordinary daytime work usually starts at 7.30 and ends 15.30 (or 3.30 pm)

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    stadacone,
    You got it right. Japanese are work horses. They get to work early for the most part and work well into the evening hours. Most of them spend more time at work than at home. Many of them work 10-12 hours per day, 5 or sometimes even 6 days per week as needed. Salary men are really screwed here. Their lives are tied into their homes which cost them a fortune.. and their family life is highly dependant on their success at work.

That said, the bonuses here are ridiculous. My wife who is also a teacher gets 2 $5000 a year. It used to be three, but they've been getting cheaper.

That is inaddition to her salary. I unfortunately don't get that bonus and I can leave right when the clock tolls 5:00pm. Though usually I leave around 5:30 or 6:00 and get to school at 7:45am.

And Japanese do usually go out with their coworkers.. who happen to be their mates. They drink after work and get shitfaced. Then they finally return home and sleep, and then do it all over again the next day.. it's nutty.

Even on the weekends they are always doing something. I've got to have at least 1 day to loaf...

Yay for loafing BB...

In Oz we have whats called a "sickie" (as in a sick day off) but no-one ever has a proper sickie when you're sick, (in those cases you're just sick and don't go to work).
    The proper definition of a "sickie" is to be so hungover on Monday from the weekend that you can't or don't want to go to work.
    Or a sickie could be taken on a friday so you can beat the traffic out of town if you're going away for the weekend.

Its really just a day off you take when ever you feel like it, generally close to the weekend, usually on a monday for recovery reasons. Most Aussie workers can get away with at least 4 or 5 sickies a year.
    I lived with a guy on a salary who only worked about 4 mondays in the year. He just had to have 3 day weekends. He ended up getting into trouble and getting "serious" talks but he just laughed it off.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho