Thread: Drive Letter / Specification; I want to chg

Drive Letter / Specification; I want to chg

Hello-

I had to dig myself out of a problem that I believe resulsted from a faulty MB IDE controller; the end result was I rebuilt the hardware & reinstalled Win-XP. System is running great, but I'd like to change the order in which my drives appear.

Drive listing as follows:
    C: RAID1 Arry
    D: 160GB HD
    E,F,G,H: USB / memory card reader removable drives / internal USB header.
    I: CD R/W
    J: DVD-ROM

I would like drives I & J appear before E,F,G, & H. When I try to change the drive letter, the system warns "the may result in a problem." I see means of resolving:
    1. Remove E,F,G,H and I&J. Reinstall the CD/DVD drives on the IDE, establish their presence. And then resintall the memory card reader on the internal USB headers.
    2. Delete drivers for USB components in E,F,G, H; and then del drivers for I/J.
    Then reinstall drivers, 1st for I/J, then for the USB.

Are items 1/2 the correct approach? If not, pls let me know & suggest an alternative. Item #1 I can do, it is just a pain. I prefer #2 if it makes sense. But it concerns because, once I delete the drivers, I don't know where/how to get these drivers. They are standard & distributed by Microsoft with Windows. Yet, I don't know how to reinstall them.

Thx.

Scott
    Core2 2.40GHz, 1066 FSB; MSI 975X Platinum V.2 975X , BIOS 7.5; 4x1GB Corsair DDR2-800; 600W Zalman Heatpipe; 1x250 GB Seagate SATA-2 + 2x750 GB Seagate SATA-2, RAID1 + 1x 750GB Seagate SATA-2; 2x SONY DRU-830A DVD/CD Combo; MSI GeForce 8600 GTS; Samsung 245BW; VISTA-Ultimate

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    click the start menu and select run and type control
    in control panel select administrative tools/computer management
    expand storage and select disk management for hd or removable media for cd's etc.....

right click on your drive and choose "change drive letters"

hope this helps
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Careful with changing drive letters though. This is becasue it may conflict with the registry. For example the registry key points to your C: drive which is supposed to be your Hard disk. But you've changed it to something else. This will cause errors all over. Its best not to change the drive letter for the Hard Disk.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smartin22
    Drive listing as follows:
    Mine is almost the same as yours except that my C: is not a RAID array. I just left it as is.

Order of Listed Drives: Can I change with impunity?

Hello-

Yes, I understand Egghead's suggestion. However, when I execute this suggestion, the system responds with the following message:

"Changing the drive letter of a volume might cause programs to no logner run. Are you sure you want to change this drive letter."

If I proceed, to rearrange my drives by changing letter specifications:

I move "I" and "J" to "E" and "F" respectively, and move "E,F,G,H" sequentially to "G,H,I,J,", then aren't I liable to hvae a problem? MAybe the answer is "no", provided I don't re-arrange drive c (as noted in msg above)?

Thx.

Scott

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Current Drive Listing
    Core2 2.40GHz, 1066 FSB; MSI 975X Platinum V.2 975X , BIOS 7.5; 4x1GB Corsair DDR2-800; 600W Zalman Heatpipe; 1x250 GB Seagate SATA-2 + 2x750 GB Seagate SATA-2, RAID1 + 1x 750GB Seagate SATA-2; 2x SONY DRU-830A DVD/CD Combo; MSI GeForce 8600 GTS; Samsung 245BW; VISTA-Ultimate

You may run into problems changing hard drives. When I first set up my computer it had some lettering issues but I got away with it because I didn't have any information on the drives I was changing. CD drives and the like can be changed without problems. If you change a hard drive (unless windows has some sort of forwarding I don't know about) you will break all paths to the files on the drive. So no shortcuts will work and the computer won't know how to find anything that used to be on the drive (programs, files, etc...). But if you only have data on the drive, you can change the letter (but old shortcuts won't work).

Yes I really recommend NOT to change the Hard Disk letter. It will save you from many possible software conflictions that may arise.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield