Thread: Hot Spot Protection

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar

Hot Spot Protection

Just got my laptop setup with wireless access.I'm using a D-Link 614+ router and 650+ cardbus.Works great but how do I secure the connection from being accessed by anyone close by?I remember during the setup something about encryption.Has anyone secured their wireless router?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    try this out from dlinks tech site...this will walk you thru how to enable WEP.

http://support.dlink.com/faq/view.as...C%20/%20DI-784

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    You can also turn off Broadcasting in the router setup, and inputting only the IPs of the systems to use the wireless connection.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    I would also recommend turning off dhcp and assigning your pcs an ip address then in the router give the router a range from 192.168.0.1-5 or 10 this is how I have my wired setup running. this way easier to maintain and I know what each pcs ip address is. also helps with port forwarding and the such.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    That's what I was looking for thanks Phish.Iwasn't sure about where to get the key numbers on the setup and whether you enable wep on both the access point and the adapter.Clear now,but it does slow down my connection a bit.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Yeah Zipp, depending on the quality of the hardware, enabling WEP or WPA can severly degrade your network performance in terms of Network Bandwidth as well as wireless range... However, these are slight concessions to the possibility of stolen access from neighbors or hacking into your network etc.

You will need to enable the same level of WEP on both the NIC and Router, also select the same channel and SSID... there will be Wireless section in your router web-interface, and then you will need to edit the setting on the NIC utility.

Hope it works out for you.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---