Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building computer. Assembled..No power. Pls Help

Exclamation Building computer. Assembled..No power. Pls Help

hi

i am building a computer and i have built many before, but never ran into this problem.

i started with hooking powercables to everything. no power. then i hooked up the essentials...HD, Mobo. Turn on, no power. i tried the power supply in another computer works fine.

when i turn on the power, nothing happens. no fans spin, no sounds, no nothing. if something exploded i'd be happy cuz at least SOMETHING happened. but no, nothing.

can yall give me ideas on possible conclusions? is the switch bad? how can i tell? is there a way to power it up, bypassing the power switch, to test is the switch is bad?

i am at a loss. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thank you.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Do you have another video card to try out? Please list all specs: CPU, Motherboard, Memory, Video Card, PSU, etc.

yeah i do have another vid card i could try, but..if the vidcard is causing it, would that cause the computer to not power at all?

the computer specs im building is

Motherboad: Asus K8v Se Deluxe
    Processor: AMD 64 | 3700+ ATHLON Socket 754
    Vid Card: POWERCOLOR | RADEON 9800XT 256MB
    Ram: 1.5GB Corsair DDR Ram
    Soundcard: Turtle Beach | Santa Cruz

thank you.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beebster
    yeah i do have another vid card i could try, but..if the vidcard is causing it, would that cause the computer to not power at all?

the computer specs im building is

Motherboad: Asus K8v Se Deluxe
    Processor: AMD 64 | 3700+ ATHLON Socket 754
    Vid Card: POWERCOLOR | RADEON 9800XT 256MB
    Ram: 1.5GB Corsair DDR Ram
    Soundcard: Turtle Beach | Santa Cruz

thank you.
    It has happened to me in the past and it was the incompatibility of the video card. What kind of power supply are you using with that system?

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    You said that you tried the PS in another system and it worked. Have you swapped another PS into this one? Generally speaking you are gonna get power to the PS fan or proc fan even if there is no proc on the MB.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    make sure you have read the manual for the motherboard and check that you have properly connected the powerswitch from the case to the motherboard.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Did you try all of this with everything out of the case ? just to make sure the MB isn't shorting out.

If you want to bypass the switch then jump the two power switch pins on the MB together with a little screw driver.

Anyway recheck everything, don't put any cards in except the GFX card (try another card like Conan suggest), use only one stick of ram and make sure a fan is plugged in the CPU fan header.

I don't know if you have built a system like that before ? but your going to need a real good power supply.

Quote Originally Posted by egghead
    make sure you have read the manual for the motherboard and check that you have properly connected the powerswitch from the case to the motherboard.
    hehe, I did that once had the speaker hooked up to the power switch

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    but conan wouldnt the psu and the cpu fans turn on even if you had all the cards and IDE devices out and just had the mobo plugged in...of course you would be getting BIOS error beeps.
    well do you have another psu you can try on this mobo. I've seen stranger. I have a cat5 cable will only work in my pc. found this out trying to troubleshoot my cousins pc hooked up to my router.
    by the way nice little rig you got there.

*edit*

damn started this reply and got on the phone with a custome come back and theres tons of replies. now thats service.
    Last edited by phishhead; September 30th, 2004 at 12:55 PM.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    all you need hooked up is cpu cpu fan memory and video card

with power hooked up pressing the power button will start the computer and you should see a display on screen
    ------------------------------------------------------------

hi..ohh. i havent tried swapping vid card yet...but i will.

the Powersupply is generic...from L&C. i got it with the case.

oh wow. mega response!! thx for the tips and comments and all that. ima go try the things yall have suggested, and get back to ya.

)

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    you can also take the mobo out of the case and set it on the table plug in the vid and memory and see if it fires up. I had a mobo that was shorting on the case.

woohoo! ok thx to all of your suggestions i i got it to work. i took out everything except the essentials. and it still didnt work. but..oddly enough i unplugged the cpu fan and plugged it back in...bingo. apparently that did it.. i dunno..

but it works and thank you all again for your brains. and good looks ..O.o

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    you can also take the mobo out of the case and set it on the table plug in the vid and memory and see if it fires up. I had a mobo that was shorting on the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by FastGame
    Did you try all of this with everything out of the case ? just to make sure the MB isn't shorting out