Thread: Add HD for backup

Gold Member

Add HD for backup

I have an older computer that I think has about a 2.0 Gig HD. It is a running computer with Windows 98 2nd. ed. I thought I would format that HD, and then put it in my newer Dell P4 Windows XP Pro as a backup. My plan was to add it as a SLAVE, and then just drag and drop items on to it that I wanted like MY Documents etc. in case the HD ever dies. Will this work, or is there a better way ? Thanks, Mike

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Yes it will work. It should be fine to do, depending on the configuration of the system you're gonna put it in. Anymore info on the newer system would be helpful.

Gold Member
    rik--The newer system is a Dell 4600 Dimension P4 running XP Pro with all the updates including SP2. It has a 2.8 mhz. processor, a 40 gig. HD, 256 meg of ram, CD burner, and DVD reader / player. When I loaded XP Pro, I did that NTSF thing instead of FAT32. Will the older HD which will be a FAT 32 be a problem ?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mike13
    When I loaded XP Pro, I did that NTSF thing instead of FAT32. Will the older HD which will be a FAT 32 be a problem ?
    Nope, shouldn't be.

You should be able to slave the old drive off of the new one fine. Just remember to change the jumpers on the old one to "Cable Select". Dell ships all of their IDE devices this way and their cables are Cable Select cables as well. Also once the drive is installed it should show up in your Disk Manager and you can convert it to NTFS also if you would like.

Gold Member
    Conan and rik---Thank you for the info. I knew I could get help at Techzonez !!!!

We are here for you Buddy.