Thread: CD-drive dissapears

CD-drive dissapears

I am having a problem with one of my CD-drives, it is a cd-rw drive from cyberlink. What happens is that occasionally, about one 1 of 5 startups, when the computer is loading, the XP loading logo (I have Win XP Pro) is really faded, you can barely see it at all. It is like that for a while, then it comes back like normal, and the computer appears to finish loading normally. But when it finally gets to windows, the cd-drive is missing. If I reboot, the computer will start normally, and the XP logo will not come up faded. I have begun just shutting off the computer when I see the logo like that because it saves me having to load and reboot, but I don't like doing that while it is loading. Any help is appriciated.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I don't know what the problem is, but if that happened to me I would un-install the MB chipset drivers & re-install them. Also check the IDE cables. Sounds like drivers aren't loading right at startup.

What are your system spec's ?

I have a AMD 3200 64-bit, gigabyte K8NS Pro mobo, 1024 memory, and an ATI 8700 graphics card. I checked the cables before, but it didn't seem to matter. The drive gets power, I can pop it out, just no connectivity. I am thinking there might be something wrong with the drive. I was thinking about doing the chipset drivers, but it was such a pain the first time, took me forever to get them all to work. I think it's a bit strange (although possible) that a software problem would be so intermittant. Next time it happens I am gonna try and poke around in the setting more before I reset to see what I can dig up. i will let you know. Thanks.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Well the drive could be bad ??? I guess the easy way to find out is unhook the drive for awhile and see.

Why was it so hard to get the drivers installed & working ? They should go in easy as pie.

Are you using the Nvidia IDE drivers or the M$ drivers ? I would use the M$ IDE drivers.

Do you have a good hi wattage power supply ? it's very important with your system to have one.

Are you overclocking ? if so are you sure your PCI/AGP lock is working ?
    Quote Originally Posted by bcraig
    I think it's a bit strange (although possible) that a software problem would be so intermittant.
    Hmmm, I'd say that the majority of problems whether "intermittant" or not are caused by software

Keep us posted.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    powersupply wattage may very well cause this weird problem

you have a very high voltage demanding system.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

I have a 450W power supply, it should be enough for everything (I have a bunch of extra plugs ) The reason the drivers took me forever was mostly the dumb S-ATA drivers. I got an OEM drive with no software, no instructions, and the mobo didn't like it. The windows installer had a hard time reckognizing the drive to install on it. I just checked and I am indeed using Nvidia drivers, where could I get the MS ones? MS update doesn't find any extras. No overclocking... yet.

oh man, it seemed to stop all on its own. Then it came back with a vengence. I have a primary SATA drive and a secondary IDE for backup. One time when I booted it took forever like it did when the CD drive wouldn't appear, but when windows loaded I was missing my IDE hard drive! I have restarted a bunch of times and it won't come back. When the computer is on the hard drive light is on constantly now, and the "missing" drive is warm to the touch like it might be spinning. I want to try the MS IDE drivers if there are any for my mobo, but I don't know where to find them. If anyone can help TIA.

edit: I got it all to work for now, I switched the primary / secondary parallel cables around where they connect to the mobo. But I think it still has the inital CD problem
    Last edited by bcraig; October 20th, 2004 at 04:52 AM.