Thread: Lennon's killer in new parole bid

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar

Lennon's killer in new parole bid

Mark Chapman, the man who shot dead Beatle John Lennon, is due to go before a parole board next week in the hope of securing his freedom.Chapman, 49, who shot the singer in the back outside his New York apartment on 8 December, 1980, was originally sentenced to 20 years to life.

It will be the third parole hearing for Chapman, whose previous requests to be set free were rejected.

Lennon's widow, Yoko Ono, is among those opposing his release.

Ono,who was with the musician when he was assassinated, claims Chapman remains a threat to the safety of her and Lennon's sons, Sean and Julian. In a letter to the parole board she said Chapman's release would "bring back the nightmare, the chaos and the confusion once again".

An online petition calling for Chapman to remain in prison for the rest of his natural life has been signed by nearly 2,000 fans - and includes angry threats to Chapman's life should he be freed.

Throughout his sentence, Chapman has been held at a separate facility in a maximum-security prison in Attica, in New York state.

A spokeswoman for the State of New York Division of Parole has confirmed that Chapman is among a number of prisoners scheduled for parole hearings on Tuesday and Wednesday.

In 2000, Lennon's widow told the parole hearing that she would not feel safe if Chapman were released.

Two years ago, at Chapman's second parole hearing in 2002, the board noted Chapman's "very positive" behavioural record. However, the board added that progress in such a controlled and structured environment "cannot predict your community behaviour" if released. Chapman was denied parole on the grounds that it would diminish the seriousness of his crime.

BBC News

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Well thats pretty freaky cos' i was just reading about this.

John Lennon's FBI Files To Be Released To The Public
    Thursday September 30, 2004 @ 02:00 PM

"Back in the '70s when he was living in New York, Lennon regularly complained that the American government was carefully monitoring his actions, even claiming that the feds had bugged his phones. While the straight-laced establishment tried to write Lennon's complaints off as drug-fueled paranoia, it was later revealed that the FBI had indeed been keeping close tabs on the man who wrote peacenik anthems like "All You Need Is Love" and "Imagine."

While some of the FBI files have been publicly released over the years, they've been clutching on to 10 pages of top-secret info. Jonathan Wiener, a University Of California professor, has been in a 20-year legal fight with the FBI to have the files released. Over the years, he has managed to unlock almost 250 pages from Lennon's files after suing the FBI under the Freedom Of Information Act. A judge has just ruled that the government must turn over the remaining 10 pages. "

Source

As for releasing Mr Lennons killer, well, if he'd shot someone that lived down the road from me, he'd have been out years ago. But because he killed John Lennon (and the Beatles with him), he's going to spend the rest of his life in college methinks.
    Regardless of if you liked the Beatles or not - they changed the face of music forever.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Chapman,although not a mass murderer,is just as deluded as Charles Manson and should suffer never getting out of jail as just punishment.Wether a celebrity was killed or an everyday person it makes no difference,Chapman coldly stalked and planned Lennon's murder.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

I agree with you zipp, calculated murderers should remain behind bars.

Amen to that. Have you seen the latest from the UK? Were talking of letting them apply for parole (if they're sorry, ha) after 7 years. My partner is a prison psychologist, and some of the stories (that she doesn't tell me cos she's not allowed to) would curl your toenails. I don't think the deterrent aspect makes any difference with pre-meditated killers, they know the consequences & still go ahead. As such life should mean life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tanglefoot
    My partner is a prison psychologist, and some of the stories (that she doesn't tell me cos she's not allowed to) would curl your toenails..
    Hey hold on a sec, if she's not allowed to tell you, how do you know they'd curl anything.

I was lying