Thread: SpaceShipOne soars into history

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar

SpaceShipOne soars into history

Altitude appears to be easily enough to win $10 million X Prize

MOJAVE, Calif. - SpaceShipOne soared to a record 368,000 feet early Monday, easily surpassing the altitude required to win the $10 million Ansari X Prize for private spaceflight.

The rocket engine burned for 84 seconds before shutting down as planned. SpaceShipOne's wings then folded into a self-stabilizing, high-drag configuration for what Rutan calls a "carefree re-entry," then folded back into a glider configuration for the final phase of flight.

Full Story: MSNBC.com

Wow- pretty neat stuff.

Still waiting on those hover cars though.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho

I have been following this project for years and have watched three shots on television. Exciting stuff.

The thing that excites me is that private industry can make sensible decisions concerning acceptable risks. A government manager is mandated to follow all safety provisions. Failure to do so, will end everyones career should there be an accident. Oh hell, you don't need an accident. Just have an inspector find a bunch of violations and heads will roll. To avoid this the government managers will spend million after million to mitigate every risk. No one ever got fired for spending too much money in the government. Not only is the government project much more expensive, all that attention to every safety issue, no matter how small drags out progress.

Now just in case someone out there thinks I am exaggerating, I stationed at an installation in east Texas where state inspectors fined the installation $7000 for improper storage of paint rags. These rags were stored a fenced in area, on a concrete slab. Someone had apparently opened the can to add more rags and then did not completely seal the can. It was a large can with a lid similar to a paint can (the kind that you pry the lid off and use a hammer to seal it again).

Go SpaceShipOne.
    Last edited by efc; October 5th, 2004 at 18:21 PM.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    and the 10 million dollars goes to *inserts drum roll* spaceship one.

- Hey EFC I don't for a second doubt your claims and I certainkly don't think you're exaggerating but I am a fine artist (as in the classically trained type, not, fine =wiked).
    And I'm not kidding, paint rags are a very serious issue.
    Because they contain oils and traces of acetones, if you throw a couple together they only have to get warm and they start to ignite.

Beleieve me I know from experience, I had a couple in the back of my car that caught fire.

I take them very seriously now and don't think a fine of that magnitude is outrageous when you consider the alternatives.

But having said that, let me say this... "LESS RED TAPE AND MORE SPACE RACING!!"
    Like you say EFC, private enterprises entering the competition if very exciting stuff.

Acceptable risk + Space travel = lots of grey area's

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Acceptable risk + Space travel = lots of grey area's
    Lets just hope its not our brain grey area all over the space-dash!!

It almost seems like an open-source space program compared to NASA

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

A little on acceptable risk: There are many people that drive cars at speeds that might be considered unsafe for the public. There are those that jump out of airplanes for sport, or go rock climbing, underwater cave diving, ski in avalanche prone areas, or participate in extreme sports. Yet most people expect 100% safe air travel.

It is inevitable that some people will die trying to make space travel a commercial enterprise. If we want to routinely leave this planet, it is worth it.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by efc
    A little on acceptable risk: There are many people that drive cars at speeds that might be considered unsafe for the public. There are those that jump out of airplanes for sport, or go rock climbing, underwater cave diving, ski in avalanche prone areas, or participate in extreme sports. Yet most people expect 100% safe air travel.

It is inevitable that some people will die trying to make space travel a commercial enterprise. If we want to routinely leave this planet, it is worth it.
    Agreed, sort of like the first pioneers of the west... and look at the huge gains made!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Quote Originally Posted by EFC
    ~AMEN~