Thread: IPS assigned IP # and my modem's IP address

IPS assigned IP # and my modem's IP address

I was told recently that the IP # assigned to me by my ISP was the IP address of my modem. Is this an accurate statement?

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    go to start run and type CMD then in the cmd prompt type IPCONFIG this will tell you what your local machine's ip address is.

OK, I did that; got my IP #. Now, is that IP # also the IP address of my modem as a D-Link technician told me?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Titanium Member
    Your modem converts IP or something like that. If you want your real IP you can go to: http://www.whatismyip.com/

IPconfig only shows my DHCP, DNS, and IP of my router (which, in my case is all the same) I think most D-link's are 192.168.etc.
    Last edited by lynchknot; October 4th, 2004 at 18:30 PM.

lynch actually your backwards the whatismyip.com will only show the ip of your router since the router is the only thing the internet sees. now in ipconfig the gateway IP is your routers ip address

Titanium Member
    There are two IP's
    192.168.0.100 - which most people have as router IP (I thought)
    67.xox.xxx.xxx - is distinct which i'm the only one that has at "what's my IP"

I don't understand your statement phishy. What/where is my true IP?)
    If I disconnect my router, which IP will it show at What's my IP?

everything in CMD (DHCP, DNS, and IP) says 192.168.0.1

ah, I see (at DNS lookup) that
    Sorry, 67.xxx.xxx.176 does not appear to be a valid Internet hostname.
    So then portscans at testing facilities like sygate that asks if it is correct IP, Is inaccurate?

What IP then do we give to test our firewalls? LIke at PC flank (gives us nowhere to enter IP

The test has determined your IP address to be:
    67.xxx.251.176

Please verify that this is your true IP address.

If the IP address determined by the test is not your true IP address please cancel the test as further results of the test would be incorrect. Commonly the test fails to determine your true IP address because of you are connected to the Internet through a proxy-server or your ISP uses Network Address Translation (NAT) to share IP addresses.
    I suppose we have to disconnect router to test and for true IP?
    Last edited by lynchknot; October 4th, 2004 at 18:50 PM.

see your pc lynch isnt on the internet...its on a network inside your router. so your routers outside ip is the ip your isp gives you and your internal ip is the 192.168.0.1 for your network. When you say go to google you go to the router then the router goes out on the internet and forwards the info to your internal ip addresses.

Titanium Member
    So the only way to obtain true IP is to directly connect to modem (and go to some place like "what's my IP") - correct?