Thread: SATA as primary

SATA as primary

I always build my computers and I've been wondering about this question. Currently I have an IDE HD as my primary and a SATA HD for video game storage. The reason for this is because when I hooked up a second SATA drive I bought as the primary and went to install Windows XP it asked to press F whatever (I think it was F12, but not important) to install third party drivers. Problem is, is that you can only do it from an A: drive right? I have no need for floppy drives so I don't install them.

So my question is, how do you install the SATA as the primary in my situation? Also where do you get the drivers from in the first place. I searched seagate, WD, Hitachi Hard Drive websites and found no drivers. I don't see why you have to do that anyway, it's stupid. Can't M$ just have windows recognize it? I mean you don't need drivers when using it as a secondary drive.

I'm not doing this anytime soon, I'm waiting for SATAII and BTX mobos to come out. Also the Athlon64 based on 0.11 micron will be nice to wait for

~ Mo http://www.mightymo.net

you dont
    sata does not use primary and secondary
    they will auto detect new sata drives and set them correctly automatically,its a bit like scsi drives but without having to terminate them, instead its fully automatic

try a google search on installing sata drives, theres plenty of help guides there if you look that are quite easy to follow

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    You don't need to install any driver's unless it's going to be a RAID array. I've used one of my SATA drives as primary in the past but it was slower than my IDE drive so I switched them around once more.

I went through a similar situation as you are. My problem was that the computer didn't have the right drivers for the sata controller on the motherboard. I kept trying to find some driver for the hard drive, but I actually had to get the controller drivers from the mobo manfacturer. If you don't have a floppy drive, you might have to borrow one and hook it up temporarily, but you might be able to do it from a cd (I don't remember the XP install very well.) My sata drive smokes my old IDE