Thread: Please help! I can't get my mail.

Please help! I can't get my mail.

I keep trying to get on, but it keeps saying, Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'mail.jayco.net', Server: 'mail.jayco.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F. It started doing this on Saturday. I was able to get on once on Satuday and I called my ISP on Monday and he told me to run my spyware program. I was able to get on once after that and not since. When I called my ISP back, he said he couldn't help me. He said that I needed to bring in my computer to be looked at. I really don't want to have to do that. Can anyone help me? Thank you, Laurey

I think the best bet is to call your IP tech support number. You might also delete your email account and the set it up again.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

That is who I talked to. The tech support guy. He's the one who said he couldn't help. Should I try again?

You either have to convince Tech Support to help you solve the problem or do it yourself. When I have a problem that I need to call tech support, I just don't accept that they can't help. Ask them to elevate the problem.

I believe the best solution is deleting/reinstalling the email account. It will be the same process you used when you first set up the account.

You will need the following info:
    User Name
    Password
    Incoming Server Name
    SMTP (outgoing) server name

I don't know how to delete and redo it. I'm not very computer savvy and what about all the emails I have on there now, will I lose them?

We need someone that uses OE lead him through the process.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by efc
    You either have to convince Tech Support to help you solve the problem or do it yourself. When I have a problem that I need to call tech support, I just don't accept that they can't help. Ask them to elevate the problem.

I believe the best solution is deleting/reinstalling the email account. It will be the same process you used when you first set up the account.

You will need the following info:
    User Name
    Password
    Incoming Server Name
    I agree with efc, you need these details and re-enter them in Account options.

Hey Laurey,

Firstly...welcome to Techzonez bud

O.K. Setting up an e-mail account is nothing to panic about, you should have a wizard that will lead you through it step by step.
    But I'll talk about that in a bit.

When you get to tech support and the person says they can't help you, you should "ALWAYS" ask for someone who can!!
    Generally asking for the "team Leader" or "supervisor" will get their attention. I'm not sure what the service quality is like with your ISP (Internet Service Provider) but if it's crap, announce to them that you're not happy with the lack of support and/or look at other options.

OK now on to the E-mail account.
    As far as I know yes you will lose all your old e-mails, there may be a way of backing them up but I don't keep old mail.
    You could go in and manually cut and paste them into Word documents if you really wanted to, there may be a better solution but like I said, I don't know it.

But the good news is you CAN back up your e-mail contacts by going into:

"my computer/ c: (or whatever drive you have Windows on) / Program files / Outlook express".

In there you will see a file called WAB.exe open that then go "File" / "Export" /export address book. - remember where you save it - Done.

OK. now I have a version of OE 6 - (although I don't use it)
    So I'll use that to walk you through. If you have a different version you may have to look around different places but the process should be the same.

NOTE: Before you start any of this make sure you have :

User Name
    Password
    Incoming Server Name

As suggested by EFC and Conan.
    You can get them from your ISP - (Unless it's too much trouble for them..hehe)

Open Outlook, ignore and close failed attempt pop ups.
    Go to "tools" and then "Acounts" - then click the "Mail" tab.

1. Select the (default) account in the box, then click the "properties" button, then go through the top tabs and re-enter the account details, then click "ok" or "close" at the bottom.
    Exit Outlook. (Although not necessary, I would re-boot before I opened it again, it's just an old habbit I have. If you do, re-check the account files match the new ones entered )

2.To completely remove the old and replace with a new account.

Select the default account in the text field.
    Then click "remove".

Then click "ADD" -then select "mail"

Then follow the prompts and fill out the required fields. It's that easy. . !

You can ask your ISP to help you set it up over the phone if you want, and walk you through it.
    Ask them when you ring for your e-mail account details, if they refuse you that !!... then you really need a new provider.

Good luck and come back if that doesn't work.

Actually, come back anyway and let us know how you got on.
    Last edited by z3n; October 7th, 2004 at 03:00 AM.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho

I called them back and they said it was a problem with my computer because it won't connect to the server. I did try what you said and it didn't work. We don't have a lot of ISP choices around here, small town, but I might look around. Thanks for trying to help me.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Also, are you running any kind of software firewall?

No and I was able to get my emails once today and then I couldn't again.

Here is something else to try. Download Thunderbird mail client. It is easy to set up. Download Here

Establish your email account by answering the questions in the wizard. You will need the same information listed above. Obviously if it works then there is a problem with Outlook Express.