Thread: win98 startup trouble

win98 startup trouble

More nOOb stuff... when I start up my pc I can't get passed the Windows 98 startup menu screen - it looks as if its about to start but it won't run in normal or safe mode - I've been into the BIOS and tried booting from the CDROM to no avail...I keep getting the message windows protection error, you need to restart you computer...

Any help would be much appreciated... oh yeah, and my floppy isn't working either...

Thanks in advance, dt

Use emergency boot disk and boot to DOS. Type C: and press enter. Then type chkdsk /f and press enter. Restart computer.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Did that at DOS prompt but got told to use scandisk....did that and no errors found... in the bios I can see f: (my cdrom) but can't access it from dos?

When you make an emergency boot disk with win98se cdrom drivers are included. One of the boot choices is with cdrom support. The cdrom may change from drive D: to drive E: when the boot disk creates a ram drive as drive D:.

Once you boot to a: prompt, type e: <enter> to see if you can access the cdrom drive. dir <enter> will show the directory. If you can type setup and install win over your current install. If it works it should correct the problem you are having.

Another thing you can try is to attempt to windows via dos. Try to do it as follows:

type c: <enter>
    cd c:\windows <enter>
    win <enter>

If all that fails then I would consider format and new install of windows.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

At least windows 98 doesnt use ntfs...Ive got some pretty bad experiences with ntfs and windows xp that didnt boot anymore and how ms-dos is no solution to the problem. Without a bootable windows xp disk or rescue diskettes its pretty much the end of the world.
    Get Quintessential player, the alternative to winamp! ( www.quinnware.com )

What Did You End Up Doing. Just Thought That I Would Add. Once A Long
    Time Ago I Had Simular Pronblems Because I Had No Floppy Installed.
    Installed Windows With The Floppy Controller Turned On In Bios. Got Really Tired Of Clicking On The Floppy Icon In Explorer So I Disabled The Floppy Controller In Device Manager, But The Floppy Icon Was Still In Explorer
    After A Reboot. So I Went And Played With Bios But In A Rush Didn't Disable The Controller Just Changed An Option For The Floppy And Ended Up With
    The Same Error As You "Windows Protect". So Maybe Check Those Floppy Options.
    Last edited by repressedeath; October 11th, 2004 at 03:35 AM. Reason: corrections
    Its Always Fun To Rip Apart Bills Software

get a command prompt
    not safe mode just the command prompt

type

scanreg /restore

then reboot

Thanks for your replies...still without any luck - I've done the scanreg restore a couple of times to no avail...
    What I didn't mention was I did a new install of windows a while back when my machine fragged out...not sure if this new install has upset something along the way. I'm happy to do it again - but as I've mentioned I can access my bios and I can access my hard drives via DOS but neither my floppy nor CDROM are accessible...

The screen I get to gives me the options of Normal, Logged (\bootlog.txt), safe mode, step by step confirmation or command prompt.

My main concern is retrieving some info off of my hard drives - I've also got an old Dell Poweredge1300 - is there any way to plug my hard drives straight into that and access the info?!
    I've read about the 'Icybox' which may be a way of cutting my pc loose and getting my info....

Ok any other suggestions welcome - other than buy another PC with XP - mind you that is sounding like a GOOD option at the minute!
    As a side note - is it worth hanging on for WIN64 or is everyone happy with XP?

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dt1
    As a side note - is it worth hanging on for WIN64 or is everyone happy with XP?
    Go for XP!

Quote Originally Posted by dt1
    My main concern is retrieving some info off of my hard drives - I've also got an old Dell Poweredge1300 - is there any way to plug my hard drives straight into that and access the info?!
    I've read about the 'Icybox' which may be a way of cutting my pc loose and getting my info....
    Just take out the harddisk and plug it in the other computer on the secondary IDE channel.
    Get Quintessential player, the alternative to winamp! ( www.quinnware.com )