Thread: Automatic updates error 8070242

Unhappy Automatic updates error Error 0x80070424

has anyone experienced this problem, im not sure if its related to a virus or not.

Windows XP SP2, Security center says that the Automatic updates is not turned on, i go to turn this on and it errors on me and say that i must enable them from the control panel, i try this and it says it cannot do it, i then go to the windows update site and weather i choose express install or custom install it responds with an error Error 0x80070424

Also noted that Norton AV 2003 does not start the service automatically, i have to open it and enable it, although it says its already enabled.

I have ran a local virus scan and found nothing and i have ran Panda on-line scanner (Nothing Found) and Trend micros house call witch foun TRO_JANSTART.A i removed this.

I have also ran Adaware and hijack this and still nothing.

HELP

Thanks in advace
    Last edited by gargoyle149; October 13th, 2004 at 06:48 AM.

Ive had countless problems with norton antivirus myself. I always end up cleaning my system of everything norton (including symantec shared folder and registry keys) before trying a reinstall.

I dont know about the automatic update problem other than that after i installed SP2, i cant manually download updates no more. See pic. Windows is seriously screwed up, I havent installed anything else out of the ordinary.

EDIT: Odd, Opera 7.54 doesnt show the attachment nor firefox when im logged in!!
    Last edited by Rex Mundi; October 13th, 2004 at 08:44 AM.
    Get Quintessential player, the alternative to winamp! ( www.quinnware.com )

Error message

i understand lol, windows is screwed. still no virus's but still same problem. thanks for the reply though.

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar
    gargoyle149, have you looked in the event log to see if you have any errors? Also, have you changed the default settings for the Services that run in WinXP? In order for the Automatic updates to run, the following services should be running: Cryptographic Services, Background Intelligent Transfer Service, and Event Log to be running. Place all four, plus Automatic Updates, in automatic if you do not wish to update manually.

Services

i have checked and all the services appear to be running, however i have given up now, i did a files and settings transfer, re-installed from the ghost backup and transfered files and settings back, its all there and working and i have been through everything and i cant see whats changed, i have also run hijack this and the logs are identical, so im gonna put this down to a mystery f**kup.

all back and working and took a ghost image using ghost v.9 using incremental backups on a daily basis.

Thanks for all your help on this matter, microsoft never bothered to get back to me on this matter.