Thread: Virtual..Mac.?

Bronze Member

Virtual..Mac.?

Hey guys, did you hear about this yet? It's called CherryOS and it does for PCs what VirtualPC did for the Mac. It makes it so you can emulate Mac OS on the PC. I've always wanted to see why some people rave about the mac (without buying one.)
    http://www.cherryos.com/
    I haven't found a way to download/buy/try it though. Everytime I click on the 'add to cart' it brings up a 'Page can't be found' error.

I just found this at the Wired news site:
    The company said it is already working on a stand-alone version that cuts out Windows XP. A stand-alone version of CherryOS would allow OS X to run on a cheap commodity PC without the added expense of Microsoft's operating system -- provided the emulator works and Apple's lawyers ever allow it to see the light of day.

Available as a 7-MB download, the CherryOS software emulates a G4 processor and includes the chip's multimedia-boosting Velocity Engine, formerly known as AltiVec. It also features support for USB, FireWire and ethernet. It automatically detects hardware and network connections, the company said.
    The rest of the Wired article is here:
    http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125...w=wn_tophead_1
    Last edited by Mousesk; October 13th, 2004 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Found more info

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I think this similar to PearPC, but BB will be the one to ask for more info...

Also, I think this is only the emulator, and You still require OSX cds to install. That will be the hard thing to get.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Website looks spiffy, but it looks like they are yet to release it. I wonder what the performance will be like. Poor I'd imagine.

Bronze Member
    I read somewhere, either on Wired, or the CherryOS site that it will run about at about 80% of the host computer's speed. Alot faster than PearPC, but I haven't read any actual reviews or anything. Yeah, getting the CDs for OSX, hmmmm... How much is it? Like 130$?

I've owned both ~ and Macs can . . .

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by z3n
    I've owned both ~ and Macs can . . .
    Oh I wouldnt say that Zen, I have both, and you are partially right... for general Office work PCs have better IQ... however, the MAC is very stylish and when it comes to 'big' work it simply flys... I have a Dual 1Ghz G4 with 19" LCD display and it does Final Cut Pro 4 real-time rendering no problems!! The macs are designed as a good all-round package. They are definitly not mainstream, but Apple only wanted Niche players

Now... back on topic, besides to use some MAC specific software and the obvious high cost of hardware, why would you want to Emulate a MAC on a PC... I guess just to run a different OS, add it to a multi-boot or Virtualised system running win9X/XP/Server/Linux/OSX

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cash_site
    Oh I wouldnt say that Zen, I have both, and you are partially right... for general Office work PCs have better IQ... however, the MAC is very stylish and when it comes to 'big' work it simply flys... I have a Dual 1Ghz G4 with 19" LCD display and it does Final Cut Pro 4 real-time rendering no problems!! The macs are designed as a good all-round package. They are definitly not mainstream, but Apple only wanted Niche players

Now... back on topic, besides to use some MAC specific software and the obvious high cost of hardware, why would you want to Emulate a MAC on a PC... I guess just to run a different OS, add it to a multi-boot or Virtualised system running win9X/XP/Server/Linux/OSX
    I'm siding with cash here. You can NOT beat a MAC for style and WOW factor. I guess running OSX on a PC would be just another thing to do...something else to add to the list of acomplishments.