Thread: Explorer.exe Problems

Explorer.exe Problems

Hi,
    I have recently built a new machine running AMD 64 3400+, 1 GB ram. I had a blue window of death problem which i managed to sort out with a scan disc, but whenever i try to browse a folder, hard drives, access the control panel, my computer, disc drives usb drives whatever. Any type of folder my pc will start to lag and freeze up. My CPU usage will go up to 100% and it will all be taken by "explorer.exe". and stay that way till I restart or end task explorer.exe etc. I've tried loads of different pc scans to fix it virus scans, spyware scan. My only solution is to go into task manager and end task. the windows bar then disappears, i then run a new task explorer.exe and everything is fine until the next time. I am loosing my rag with this thing now, can anyone help. I want to avoid reformatting as i have done this 4 times alreay and my pc is only 4 weeks old. If i could get this sorted it would run like a dream.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    It might be a hardware driver conflict, let's wait for others to chime in their thoughts.

Hello Gavin and welcome to TechZonez.

Can you give us a list of the hardware you are using? This way we can better help you.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Did you upgrade other components as well in this new system, or only motherboard/CPU/RAM... check if the ram is compatible with your motherboard, I know AMD 64s are quite picky on Generic ram, better to go with brandname stuff. Also, check for latest BIOS/Hardware drivers.... obviously you are running XP, but do you have SP2, perhaps try SP1 first...

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Thanks for your attention to this matter,

My setup is as follows:- Foxconn 755 motherboard, AMD 64 3400+, 2 x 256 MB samsung 400MHZ RAM, 1 x 400MHz 184Pin 512MB PC3200 DDR RAM DIMM 2.5V 3.2Gb/Sec (manufatcurer unknown), 2 x maxtor SATA DiamondMax Plus9 200Gb 8Mb Cache Serial ATA Hard Disk Drive SATA150, Thermaltake Silent Butterfly Pure Power 480W - Xeser Edition, Thermaltake Tsunami case, so the system is cooled by 2 x 12cm fans, 1 x 9cm fan. GeForce FX5700 LE 256MB 8XAGP Graphics Card TV Out (manufacturer unknown), NEC 3500 dvd writer. Some cheap 5.1channel sound card

I had a major problem develop with Norton System Works, said it had been TAMPERED, I had to reinstall, i thought stuff it, I reformatted a 45GB partition which was the operating system and the install was unsuccessful 5 times. I had information on the 160GB partition I could not afford to loose so i couldnt reformate the whole drive. I had no choice but to buy a new 80gb HD to run the xp seperately. First thing i done was transfer the large files I had from what seems to be the dodgy hard drive, the explorer.exe problem came back, before i had a chance to set up the computer with any other programme other than XP. about 10 of the files also seemed corrupt, i was unable to transfer these as it said they were being used by another device ?? I have now deleted everything from that drive, ran a complete reformat through disk management and and running a complete HD scan before i do anything else. I am at work so it shall be done by the time i get home. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Smile

I would try removing the 1 x 400MHz 184Pin 512MB PC3200 DDR RAM DIMM to see if this is a memory conflict. Unless things have changed and I have not heard about it the best thing to do is keep all your memory matched when possible.

I Hate Explorer.exe

I am interested to know if anyone has found a solution for this problem...I recently started having the same thing happen, except for I have been running the same system with all the same hardware for almost a year now... So I know a hardware conflict is out of the question...If any one has a solution by all means E-mail me at [email protected] Your help is much appreciated...

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    had almost the same issue where I would click on explorer and it would take forever to open found out it was a ide cable. stupid huh. after like 5 reinstalls.

PCs are also subject to a phenomenon known as chipcreep, due to the heatup-cooldown (expand-contract) cycle inside the system hardware connections work themselves loose. Before buying loads of stuff just take everything apart and put it back together - this will help to clean the connections as well as re-seating any loose components. If that fails then see if you can borrow someone elses RAM and test with that - one stick only in the system to avoid possible conflicts. If that fails you ned to isolate software / hardware issues by booting from a known error free environment - like a Knoppix disk/Bart disk.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I just had this problem with explorer not opening and or slow opening depending on a random reboot.I ended up reformatting and haven't had the same problem yet.The only major update to my system prior to this happening was the installation of SP2.I haven't checked Asus's site for any patch references yet specifically for SP2 but thats my next step,if and when it happens again.This sounds like something that is popping up more freqeuently so I'll be on the look out for more suggestions also.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.