View Poll Results: Have you ever installed and/or used "pirated" (i.e. copied) software?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never. I think it's completely unethical not to pay for software.

1 4.17%
  • I must admit I've installed one or two commercial apps that I didn't pay for.

12 50.00%
  • I see no problem in installing copied software whenever I can.

8 33.33%
  • I avoid the problem by using freeware and other free/inexpensive software.

3 12.50%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you use pirated software?

Do you use pirated software?

Just saw this poll on www.desktoppipeline.com so I thought it was interesting.

I think the anonymous "my opinion is as follows" comments field is quite necessary because I don't suscribe to any of the simplified question listed above.
    However I did pick the closest in order to participate.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho

Nobody knows I'm a dog. TZ Veteran petard's Avatar
    i have my one vote in.

Many thanks to egghead for the cool .sig

Banned
    i have and will always use pirated software

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I think the way the companies are trying to lock down one OS to one machine is driving more and more people to piracy. Adobe, Microsoft, Norton, all these companies are trying to screw over their users. So what is Jane Dow uses 1 copy on 2 or 3 computers.. she owns it, she should IMHO be allowed to use it as she sees fit.

Oh well, I am hoping that linux will catch on to a simplified software and driver/hardware installation methodology. As soon as that happens, I will end my windows monopoly. I am using Mandrake now and liking 10.1 as good as windows.. except for what I mentioned above.

Ya i dont like how the end user has to pay so much for a piece of software i say if you can get pirated from a friend use it.

So what is Jane Dow uses 1 copy on 2 or 3 computers.. she owns it, she should IMHO be allowed to use it as she sees fit.
    But, unfortunetly the end user can not make a few compies of a disk unless they have an unlimited license to the software which most people are not willing to pay for. Just remember this is a balancing act dont just go around and have everybody screw over a software maker left and right if they dont make enough money they will stop rolling out new products

Quote Originally Posted by beelzebub
    But, unfortunetly the end user can not make a few compies of a disk unless they have an unlimited license to the software which most people are not willing to pay for. Just remember this is a balancing act dont just go around and have everybody screw over a software maker left and right if they dont make enough money they will stop rolling out new products
    Do you believe that really? Microsoft didn't make enough money off of windows 98? So in XP, they decide to screw over users with Windows Product Activation? Come now, Gates is still the richest man in the world and Microsoft is one of the most successful software companies.. It's corporate greed. When is enough enough? How much is enough money?

Adobe certainly doesn't look like they are hurting much, and Symantec keeps buying up competitor after competitor...

It's a farce to say that they use product activation to protect profits... in fact, I'd say their profits are over inflated and could use some deflation...

The fact remains piracy will last for as long as software lasts.. If they reduced prices, it would have a more extended reach into curbing piracy than any product activation or protection scheme. But that never happens does it?

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Right on BB!!!!!!

That is not to say I condone piracy. BUt to me piracy, is getting a CD or DVD of something, making thousands of copies of it, and then selling it. There is some financial gain from that scenario.

Now, what grandma Jones does by loaning her CD to her cousin Dillard is not piracy at all. In fact, that is what I'd call sharing. Grandma paid for it, and then shared what she paid for with a relative. How did Grandma gain from loaning her CD to Dillard?

Certainly Dillard gained by using the product. But let's say Grandma couldn't give to Dillard because of product activation. Well, Dillard is as poor as they come and as cheap and tight as a drum. Well, he'd just stay off the computer and no sale is lost there... So in that scenario, nothing was lost to begin with..

Of course this scenario is only one of dozens.

I think soon, challengers to the mainstream products we use will be the biggest threat to these companies. Freeware, open source, and cheaper alternatives that are every bit as good but different in some way, will be far worse of an impact than any little old lady loaning or sharing her software....

GRANDMA JONES IS A PIRATE !!!!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho

Hot dogs! Another place to bash Microsoft. That is my favorite pastime. Some of you may remember very long essays that I have written on this subject in the past. I promise that I will not repeat that torture.

Microsoft's pricing policy has been a little like Nike's pricing of their shoes. Both have captured youths imagination and desire to own their product. Both have priced their product beyond many youngster's ability to buy.

With shoes there have been muggings, even shootings in ghetto areas. So far that hasn't happened with Windows.

If Windows cost $35 for a full version and $19 for an upgrade, the number of counterfeit copies would be far fewer. I'm sorry, I just can't feel sorry for Microsoft.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

sorry it took me so long to respond to the post right after my first one. The one posted by BB.

i hate microsoft i am groing up in a household were we dont buy anything from monopolies like microsoft if we dont have to. that doesn't mean we pirate a lot well actualy my mom doesn't pirate at all. I do i just dont tell her. But, I specifically left microsoft out of my previous post because they not only control the opperating system they also have games and hardware so it would be a horribly inaccurate example to use. Feel free to pirate form Microsoft. They probably wont go bankrupt, hopefuly they will anything to further the Linux revolution

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Can i just add. Choose your words carefully.

Techzonez in no way condones Piracy !!!

Phew,I'll get that out the way before my inbox gets bombarded by disgruntled software companies.
    Last edited by Reverend; October 17th, 2004 at 22:55 PM.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    I like to take my time....
    Walk down the hill...
    and troubleshoot them all.

That would be very costly so i try out freeware as much as possible.

I also read lots and I may test software to experiment with problem solving.

I believe all software in business should be paid for
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Why has this turned into a bash MS thread ???

Don't get me wrong i'm not a "Bill Gates" devotee but the thread title is "Do you use pirated software?" which if i have read it correctly means all software,not just Microsoft.

BTW,Microsoft has a so-called monopoly because they happened to be in the right place at the right time.And lets be honest,if it wasn't for the release of Windows and its relatively ease of use,the majority of us probably wouldn't be using computers today.

Pirated software is prevalent because it is so easy to obtain,and not necessarily because people refuse to line the manufacturers pockets.IMHO

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========