Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Major Dilemma

Major Dilemma

Recently loaded Office 2003 Pro, now whenever I click on an icon to open any part of it - Outlook, Word etc 'preparing to install Office' pops up and runs. Cancelling makes no difference as the application still won't run and worse letting it take it's course generates the following - 'Error 1402. Setup cannot open the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\11.0\Common
    Verify you have sufficient permissions to access the registry.
    I've had the Office wizard try to respectively fix, re-load and uninstal Office to no avail, in every case the same error message interupts the process. So effectively I cannot access any part of the app. I could format and re-load but
    am wary of the effectiveness knowing links to other drives would probably remain. Any idea of the consequences of using reg edit and wiping that location? Thoughts and help appreciated.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    # Quit all Windows programs.
    # Click Start and then click Run.
    # In the Open box, type Regedt32.exe and then click OK.
    # Select the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE on Local Machine window.
    # Locate and select the following key:

\Software\Microsoft\Office

1. On the Edit menu, click Permissions.
    2. Click the registry key for the user who is currently logged on, and ensure that Read and Full Control permissions are both set to Allow.
    3. Click the Advanced button, ensure that the user who is currently logged on is selected, that Full Control is listed in the Permissions column, and that This Key and Subkeys is listed in the Apply to column.
    4. Click to select the Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here that apply to child objects check box, and clear the Inherit from parent the permission entries that apply to child objects. Include these with entries explicitly defined here check box.
    5. Click Apply, and then click Yes when you are prompted to continue.
    6. Click OK, and then click OK again.
    7. On the Registry menu, click Exit.

Spot on fix. That would have taken an age phoning my sys admin brother and cost me several bottles of wine in recompense. I'd award a gold star if I could, many thanks.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tanglefoot
    I'd award a gold star if I could, many thanks.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho

Glad to have helped! Welcome to TZ!

Glad I joined, best techno site I've seen. Would never claim to be guru but can usually sort basic stuff out poste haste. Think you guys are in a diferent league. The last fix was arcane and I doubt Knowledge base would have come up with it. Being outclassed, may keep my postings in games area. We'll see, many thanks.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Being outclassed, may keep my postings in games area. We'll see, many thanks.
    No need to limit yourself to posting in the games area.

Aye Tanglefoot- You probably know more than me, and they let me run around all over the shop.

Mind you, if I step on toes I get a slap.

If you go into the Politics room - watch out for flying pots and plates.

Welcome to Techzonez -

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.~ Groucho

Ah that'll be the heated discussion area, think I'll steer clear, got enough issues with my local council and the non-bin-emptying policy the seem to operate. Then of course there's Emperor Blair. Think I'll try the sport section

Major Dilemma part 2

Everything worked perfectly untill 10 mins ago - clicked Outlook and the same scenario unfolded. Weird, thought I, but I've got the fix. Repeated BB's fix and to my suprise no change . One thing that did strike me was that after checking 'Replace permission entries............and applying, (Inherit from parent was unchecked?), when the box warning of changes and do you wish to continue was (yes) clicked, the previously checked box - Replace... etc unchecked itself. Any way I can do a 24hr roll-back? All this without SP2 Thanks in anticipation

I'd try the roll back, and what have you changed or added since last you opened outlook? are you using the admin account or a power user/guest account on this machine?

Have you installed the latest updates to Office 2k3?

An alternative to Outlook would be Eudora. It got rave reviews in Smart Computing's August issue. In fact in won out over Outlook, Thunderbird, Outlook Express, etc... And most virus writers target outlook.. so you'd be doing yourself a favor in that regard.
    http://smartcomputing.com/editorial/...6997C45F437437

If you open any of the other Office Apps like word, go to help and then click on Detect and Repair. Here, check on the lower box which says discard my cutomised settings and restore all default settings. Then click start. This works for me as I like to fiddle with the Office settings. It saves me from reinstalling Office. I don't know if it'll work for you.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Well the roll back worked. We'll have to wait and see for how long. Just seemed wierd to me that it should revert so suddenly. Only SW I've loaded recently is Shockwave. Thanks BB & Joshiao. Machine auto starts as power user, though it's home m/c & I am admin. I think this was related to the permissions issue. Presumably admin hold all permissions? Can I make the standard start-up Admin? I should have all the aces then. Initially tried the detect & repair to no avail, same error message - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\OFFICE (Error 1402). Then tried a re-install off the CD and got same error line + \11.0\INFO PATH
    All's well that ends well, though I'd like to future proof myself against a reoccurrence (is that spelt correctly? Reverend needs to put a spell checker on the post reply section) Thanks again

Reverend needs to put a spell checker on the post reply section)
    Lol, a spell checker? I haven't seen any for vBulletin forums.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield