Thread: Sata Problems

Silver Member

Sata Problems

hi im new to sata and im having problems installing windows on it....i have a wd1200jd 120gig i have no drivers for it which i know i need but i dont know where to get them from and i know that u have to hit f6 to instal windows on the hard drive what else do i need to know
    i have a gigabyte ga-7vt600 1394 mobo
    1 gig of ram
    2800+ athlon xp
    currenty i have a maxtor 120 gig with windows on it and a western didgital 120 gig and i use that for storage i want to use both of them for storage and put windows on my sata

so all i want to know is how to instal my sata hard drive any information will be very helpful thanks for ur time

Silver Member
    o ya i also want ur opinions for the best configuration for speed...if u want to go into any detail that would be nice as in drivers and useful stuff like that i also have a radeon 9600 np (any ideas ont he best drivers for performance since i cant overclock it)

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    You only need to hit F6 during Windows installation if you're going to install RAID drivers. A single SATA drive doesn't need drivers, it's just a matter of enabling it in the BIOS settings.
    Last edited by Conan; October 20th, 2004 at 01:56 AM.

Silver Member
    u mean enabling the onboard sata controller....if so i have it enabled and my system recognizes the hd but i cant do anything with it i cant format it put anything on it or anything

Quote Originally Posted by Nate89
    u mean enabling the onboard sata controller....if so i have it enabled and my system recognizes the hd but i cant do anything with it i cant format it put anything on it or anything
    Check your motherboard manual/CD, but for my system, I just booted from the Windows XP CD and formatted my SATA drive and installed Windows. There is also a BIOS setting for enhanced mode for hard drives, choose enchanced for SATA if you have that option.

Silver Member
    i cant seem to find the site for gigabyte and i lost my manual cause im a dumbass who cant keep my room clean ive tried just installing from the windows disk but it wont read my sata just the other 2 so i unplugged them and it says theres nothin to install to

Silver Member
    nvm that i found the box it has the site on it but anyone else that can help me out here with configs or anything please speak up thanks for ur valuable time

Quote Originally Posted by Nate89
    i cant seem to find the site for gigabyte
    http://tw.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/...river_List.htm

Silver Member
    ok im still completely stupmed because the maual talks about the raid for eide hd's not sata and i want it for one sata hd and my system is bein gay and it reads it but wont let me do anything with it please if anyone out there can help me i would greatly appriciate it thank u

I had a similar problem with my SATA install on a gigabyte mobo. I had to go to the site and install the drivers for the controllers for the SATA drive. Really confusing, took me a while to get right. You probably don't need the drivers for the drive itself, but it would be a good idea to have them. Just have the disk and try to install the controller drivers during the windows install. I am not using RAID either.

Silver Member
    thanks for the help man it worked u were loads of help next time instead of waiting a year and failin many times ill just turn to forums thanks a lot