Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: someone impersonated me

Titanium Member

someone impersonated me

Some idiot used my name and deviantart gallery as a reference to me and sent a flame letter to someone. Is there anything I can do?

Ok, so after a hard day of studying, working in the metals studio, dealing with relatives after another relative's death, I go to see if any friends wrote me an email, and I happen upon this little number:

He used the email address: ken_lynch_39@hotmail.com - to send this to her;

I dont think you art is very good - I'm sorry to say.

In fact you need lots more practice.

Have you thought of maybe giving it up and trying to do something
    better for
    yourself ?

I don't mean to be rude, I can help you in fact.

If you want to learn something look at my art,

[link] - he links to my deviant page

I hope you have learnt something.

Aslo read my poems about my dad they might help you.

Some people get upset when I tell them, so I hope you understand if I
    block
    your address.
    Well. Here's the thread anyway: http://lotusii.deviantart.com/journal/3614623/

BTW, I don't store anything much at deviant - just photos and docs.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    Sounds like a psycho to me Lynch.Singled you right out.I didn't know you could spoof an email address that easily.Good luck.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Bronze Member
    He used your hotmail account? Couldn't you just change your hotmail password? Or am I missing something here...?

Titanium Member
    No. My hotmail account does not have a number (mine is just kenlynch) - but he referenced my deviantart site as well - to make it appear that I sent her the message.

*edit - the fact that the word "learnt" was used may say he's/she's not from USA - and even running a search for that word on this board - shows that word is used very rarely - and if used, it's not by anyone from the US.
    Last edited by lynchknot; October 20th, 2004 at 20:02 PM.

Bronze Member
    Ok, so he made an email account like yours, but hacked your deviantart account then? Would that be a password change then?

Hmm, I just read that link you sent and it seems like he sent an email to her from that account, but made it look like it was from the site somehow? Couldn't he have just copied and pasted all that stuff to make it look like it was from deviantart, but really just from him?

Titanium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mousesk
    Ok, so he made an email account like yours, but hacked your deviantart account then? Would that be a password change then?

Hmm, I just read that link you sent and it seems like he sent an email to her from that account, but made it look like it was from the site somehow? Couldn't he have just copied and pasted all that stuff to make it look like it was from deviantart, but really just from him?
    OK. He sent an email that was similar to mine. She received the email which included a link to my deviantart gallery: http://lynchknot.deviantart.com/gallery/ - saying, "look at my gallery" He did not hack anything - just made it appear that I sent the email.

I could get a Hotmail account: Mousesk_123@hotmail.com and find your website (if you have one) and send off a flame to someone - impersonating you - and if you have a guest book, watch to see the flame response. It's a stupid childish game - much like crank calls. IMO
    Last edited by lynchknot; October 20th, 2004 at 20:53 PM.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    First thing you should do is report it to hotmail customer services,give them the email address of the sender and include the contents of the mail. Also check the header of the sent email,it may throw up some more info.

Have you had a disagreement with any other Mozilla skinners ?? It sounds like a rival grudge to me.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Bronze Member
    I undestand now, that's kind of what I was thinking. So you want a way to get him back or something? Fight fire with fire?
    I would try emailing this guy 'just to talk'. Play head games maybe. See if you can get him to slip up. All you know right now is an email address, but see if you can get him to give out more info.

Titanium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend
    Have you had a disagreement with any other Mozilla skinners ?? It sounds like a rival grudge to me.
    The skinning community, I believe, did not have anything to do with this as my theme site was not even mentioned - and I do not submit any themes to deviantart.

"getting even" will only reciprocate the nonsense - reporting this to proper authorities may make whoever did this think twice.(if hotmail sends them a letter - probably a junk account anyway though)
    Last edited by lynchknot; October 20th, 2004 at 22:19 PM.

I'm a bit confused

Was your deviant account hacked and the mail sent from that account,or was the mail sent directly from the hotmail account.

The deviant admins should be able to trace the IP or mail server.

Titanium Member
    Sent to Deviantart admin:

Hello. Someone has been abusing the system. They have used my name and website to reference a negative feedback left for another artist: [link] - take a look at journal entry: "My First Flame". I did not send the message. Either someone has my password or ? Would it be possible to investigate this matter? Thank you.
    Their response:

Because she recieved it in an email, and not through a comment left on deviantART, we have no jurisdiction over it. Try asking her for the email it came from, so you can speak to whoever sent it.
    He sent her an email using my name but his email account (kenlynch_39@hotmail.com - mine is without the number). Then referred to my deviantart account as his.

Ahhh i understand now.

Then i suggest you do my earlier suggestion
    report it to hotmail customer services,give them the email address of the sender and include the contents of the mail.

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    you might not want to email this guy

he can log your ip and scan your ports and compromise your computer faster than a g4techtv idea.....

you should use an anonymizer,
    http://www.1netcentral.com/anonymous-email.html
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Titanium Member
    My IP or my router's IP? - and from hotmail via web - not outlook?

Titanium Member
    I finally recieve the email - forwarded to me. How do I find information in the header. I'm looking at it but I don't understand it. Thanks