Thread: Bought a UPS

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Bought a UPS

The other day my neighbor came up with his PC and it wouldn't boot. So I did a little testing, and determined his power supply was shot. (I took it out and put it in a functional PC I knew was working well).

So he went and bought a new one and installed it. Then a few days later he comes back with the same PC and the same scenario.

So he put a new one in. This time, I've told him to get a UPS. So I got to thinking. I have well over $5000 in computer crap and other tech goodies. I decided to get a good 15000amp UPS. It comes with 6 plugins, a telephone plugin, and some serial port labelled "REMOTE"... it has it's own software and all this wing wang.

It is a very nice, but considerably heavy Unit. It has a reset button, and a bright green light showing that it is functioning. The software lets you monitor the electrical currents and so on, but I have yet to install it. I will probably do so tonight.

I am now more confident than I was before. In my old place I never even thought about it. Our power never fluctuated or went off in 3 years. I never noticed any spiking. But with the experience with the neighbor I have decided a UPS is very important for me.

Anyone else got one? Can you daisy chain the main UPS with power strips? Does that effect the capability?

When you say daisy chain I guess that you mean putting more extensions from any of the 6 plugins of the UPS. Well, from my knowledge it is all connected in parallel circuit so having more appliances on one terminal at a time means more current going through it. Since you say you have 15000amp UPS, it should support daisy chaining, hell it'll probaly support an industrial airconditioner if you put in one but computers and all appliances connected to it like printers and scanners even if running all at once can't be using more than 13A at 240Vs? Well, I am not really sure of Japan's domestic supply voltage and current but you should check the maximum current that your power terminal supports. Becasue if you go over the supported rating, the cables might overheat and cause a fire that it why here in S'pore we have all the things like fuses, magnetic circuit breakers, and earths to prevent fires. So if you connect lots of things to one terminal like kettles, computers, fans etc.. and switch them all at once the circuit breaker is gonna trip.

Basically, I don't believe that it'll affect your UPS performace at all with it being 15000Amps but it is only what your electric terminal can support. I am not really really sure about this but this is only my knowledge. If any other electric knowledgable members can clarify?
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

I live inside a steel framed home. Everything is bonded and grounded. It is like living inside a Faraday cage. Also, when I built the house I installed a whole house surge protector system. Never felt like a UPS was necessary here. I have used them in business applications when it was vital to be able to save data during a power failure.

They used to be very expensive. They are still not the cheapest item you might buy. Unless the configuration is 24/7 I think I would instead buy a high quality surge protector. They are cheaper and many are capable of handling extreme surges that can occur during storms. Many come with equipment insurance.

Here is a high quality one.

LINK
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    I use 2 of them, PC Star 500VA UPS. Lots of power fluctuations and short brownouts here.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Do you connect the UPS via software to windows? How did you set it up? Currently it is just connected but not via software.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Nope don't use software to control it. The software would only be useful if you leave your PC on all the time (like servers) and in the event of power failure, the PC will shut down automatically before the UPS batteries run out. One takes care of my main rig and the second UPS takes care of monitor, printer, DSL modem and router.

Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    I use 2 of them, PC Star 500VA UPS. Lots of power fluctuations and short brownouts here.
    Maybe I should get a surge protector. Although my area isn't supposed to have voltage dips or surges as 'promised' on the coporate website, I live in the top floor. Furthermore according to some guide, S'pore's supposed to have the greatest level of lightning activity compared to any place in the world and I've shorted out my Ethernet card during a storm once. Thanks though to a magnetic circuit breaker, no other parts were damaged.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

I have one with 2 power strips on it. The UPS is located to supply 3 PC's, modem and router as well as a TFT monitor. At the moment I am only using 43% of the UPS to supply all devices and it is a 1400. CRT monitors consume to much power and unless you have the extra power to spare one should not IMHO use it for a CRT. Does your UPS have power conditioning? That is a big plus as well. Also the software on most UPS units have the ability to back up any open software on you computer before it shuts down. I would look at the software to see what it will do for you.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    We had a quick brown out today, but I was doing work and my PC shutdown, so lost all 3 hours of work - not helpful when you got up at 5am to do it!!

So, now I'm looking heavily into getting one or two... needs to run my PC and Dad's G4 MAC... prolly looking to getting a 750VA or greater UPS with builtin surge protection with phone line protection too...

Software can be good as it can automatically save your work, send alert email etc, but some UPS only have Serial cable while newer ones have USB connection and work directly via Windows UPS management screen.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Titanium Member
    Power has gone out a few times here. With my small (cheap) ups, I have only 10-15 minutes to exit and turn off my PC. I use the software because my computer is always on.