Thread: AMD 64 Cpu ATTN: fastgame

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar

AMD 64 Cpu ATTN: fastgame

hey fastgame can you clear up a few things about the 64 cpus. which core is the best for stability and overclocking. the clawhammer or the Newcastle...etc. also which core model # is the best right now.

AMA3400BEX5AR

ADA3400AXBOX

still doing my research I decided to wait till after Xmas and get the 3400 clawhammer w/ 1m L2cache. Since the 3700 are out the 34's should go down in price.

Do they have a 64 bit mobile out yet?

so far got it down to 3 boards.

Asus K8N-E Deluxe
    DFI LANPARTY UT
    MSI K8N Neo Platinum

All 3 boards are using the Nforce3 250 gig Chipset with the gigabit lan, hardware firewall, 800MHz Hypertransport interface.
    Last edited by phishhead; October 20th, 2004 at 16:14 PM.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    The Newcastle OC's a little better but the ClawHammer has more cache so in the end they're pretty close.

The AMA3400BEX5AR is the best stepping (AR) for the clawhammer and anything with AX is a Newcastle. I bought the Clawhammer from TigerDirect but they sent a Newcastle, should of known by the price something wasn't right. After about an hour on the phone I educated TD about AMD and they changed the add. Anyhoo mine is a screamer so I'm happy. Get what ever is the cheapest and don't rule out the 2800/3000/3200, of coarse you'll need better OC luck with those but everyone seems to do fine with them

Yes they have the A64 mobiles but not every board works with them and it isn't like the XP mobile Bartons where the advantage is an unlocked CPU. All the A64 are unlocked in the lower multipliers.

As for the MB's, all are about the same (each has it's quirks) but the DFI will OC the best or should I say have the best chance too

All are close so I'd say what ever is the cheapest or the DFI if you want to OC to the extreme.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    thank you sir cleared that up for me.