Thread: Wireless Baby Monitors

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Wireless Baby Monitors

My younger brother and his partner are having a baby. So I decided to get them a small gift for their "baby shower". Seeing as I live so far away I just decided to use amazon.

Here's what I bought:

Baby's Quiet Sounds Video Monitor

The editorial and manufacturer's reviews:

Editorial Review
    For parents who want the added security of a video monitor, the Baby's Quiet Sounds video monitor provides good video and audio coverage at a reasonable price. Measuring approximately 6.5 inches high, the video monitor has a nice, clear picture, and comes with brightness, contrast, and vertical controls, along with an a/c adaptor so you can use the monitor regularly without burning up batteries. The monitor is also equipped with an infrared lens so you can keep an eye on baby even in a dimly lit or darkened room. There is also a small camera unit that comes with the video monitor that doubles as a traditional audio monitor. You can position the camera on a tabletop next to baby’s bed, or mount it on the wall or ceiling for a wide-angle view. A self-filtering directional microphone, along with two separate channels to eliminate static, combine to provide relatively clear audio reception and very little interference. --Chris Burns

From the Manufacturer
    The Video Monitor is a simplified, yet upscale in appearance, monitor that lets parents view and hear their baby from anywhere in the home. The picture is clear day or night. The parent's unit features sound lights that move with baby's every sound and a "snooze type" on and off button that allows parents to shut off the screen at night and still hear the baby. It uses 900 MHz technology that provides superior clarity and range and it is very intuitive to set up and operate.

Safety Information
    CAUTION: This package contains small parts which are for adult assembly only.

Some Images:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...1.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...2.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

etc..

It is one of the cheapest models. I was really looking at one with a small hand held video reciever, but I got to thinking about how my brother can break anything and decided on this larger unit. It looks durable, and between he and his wife I hope it doesn't get broken.

The camera is mountable, and comes with an infrared lens for night viewing. It broadcasts both audio and video over a 900mhz band.

Most of the reviews were positive and I got a $10 off gift certificate. With shipping and all it was about $105. Not too bad.

I hope they enjoy it. I know this isn't "geek-o-phile" material but I thought for some of our parental visitors it might prove useful. I'll try to update this thread and write a review after my brother gets some use out of it.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    My younger brother and his partner are having a baby.

So...it's like a business venture?

Well he's not gay if you are wondering. He is just unmarried. I don't know why they don't get married. I think they've been together now for about 4 years or something like that..

lol, No I wasn't wondering. The term "partner" always makes it sound so...cold I guess.

Titanium Member
    Just remember anyone nearby with a receiver can hear/see inside your house. It used to be even easier with just the sound monitors - which ran on 49mhz - any scanner (or room monitor) can pick up. See if it's 900mhz DIGITAL - analog is too easy.

Many older scanners are easily modified (cut the brown wire-in some cases) to receive full "illegal" range 800-900mhz.

Why not use a webcam, if he has a computer. That way he can see baby from any computer worldwide or monitor in house - and it's a closed circuit - so to speak (not in the air)
    You can use USB transmitter to send signal to TV in house or hardwire (which it better) by using AC wires in house (send video signals through AC)
    Last edited by lynchknot; October 23rd, 2004 at 16:23 PM.

He lives out in the boonies.. I doubt there will be a signal within a kilometer of where he lives LOL. Though you bring up a great point. It is 900mhz and just the right frequency to pick up on conversations.. might prove entertaining for him if they do pick up something.

The PC idea is good, but my brother doesn't have a single clue about setting that up. This monitor system is basically, plug and play.

If I were back home, i could setup a closed circuit web cam for him, but do they make web cams with infrared capabilities?

@rik, I was actually just going to write girlfriend, but they've been together longer than a typical girlfriend relationship...

Maybe, "his old lady" would work??

Titanium Member
    yeah, rik is the "ol' lady" type - lol

infrared is "line of sight" I would go with digital RF or AC house wiring - or run cable or twisted pair in walls. I wonder if they have in house phone line video transmission yet (plug and play).
    Last edited by lynchknot; October 23rd, 2004 at 17:31 PM.

old lady works just fine for me...(just don't tell the Boss)