Thread: Archive Hotmail Messages

Archive Hotmail Messages

Hello

I am new so this is a new experience for me. I have a question. I want to archive some Hotmail e-mails on my local disk. I am running XP-Pro with OUtlook Express 6 I have also installed SP2. I read one post that said to make a new subdirectory and then mearly drag the messages over from Hotmail. I have done this but the messages don't drag over. it looks very simple, what have I missed?

Thank you

Hank

Triple Platinum Member
    have u done all of the following?:

"To add a folder, click the File menu, point to New and then click Folder.

In the Folder name text box, type in a folder name such as "Archived Hotmail Messages".

Select Local Folders as the location to create the new folder, then click OK.

Go to your Hotmail inbox folder in Outlook Express, select and highlight all messages you would like to store on your personal computer.

Drag the set of messages to the folder you just created within Local Folders.

The messages will be downloaded and transferred to your local computer. "

---
    http://www.techzonez.com/forums/show...tmail+messages
    ---
    also if the number of messages u are transferring is large u might want to wait a while for them to transfer.
    Last edited by rohitk89; October 25th, 2004 at 10:16 AM.

Thank You for answering.

If you mean did I create in Outlook, yes I did. I went into Outlook then to files new folder named it Old Hotmail wnet to in box in hot mail and tried to drag the message to the new folder all I get is the circle with the slash when I attempt the drag

Hank

Triple Platinum Member
    im giving up..i have no idea why thats happening....cud be because ur not dragging it precisely over the folder or something...i think u shud pm one of the mods for more help hank...sorry...

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I'll try to help.

METHOD 1:
    Instead of copying dragging and all of that. SImply right click the email message you want to back up, and select "COPY TO FOLDER..."

Then select the new folder you made. That works perfectly for me.

You can do them in batches too. Simply click on a message, then hold CTRL and click on another and another and another. Then right click and select "COPY TO FOLDER".

METHOD 2:

You can create a new folder on your DESKTOP. (right click your desktop, then click new, then click folder). Then name it something.

Then open outlook express. FInd your messages. Then "REDUCE DOWN" the outlook express window.

You should now see outlook in "WINDOWED MODE" and part of your desktop.

Click on one of your hotmail messages, and click and drag it to your new folder on the desktop. That works perfectly for me. I can show images if necessary of this method.