Thread: Whats a good MP3 "catalog" application?

My Name is.... TZ Veteran Stripe's Avatar

Whats a good MP3 "catalog" application?

I just wanted to know what application people use (if they do) to catalog and keep track of their MP3's.

I'm having a problem where I like features of some of them but dislike other aspects of the programs. For example, Love Real Media's Library feature but hate the application. I like Helium2's library as well, but the search feature stinks and it doesnt tag the files properly. Also, MusicMix was too dang slow on my pc.

So, I wanted to see what other applications are out there that people use and like.

Next on my list to try is foobar.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    I think Music Match Jukebox has a pretty good library. Supports ripping, burning, CDDB, tagging...I have used the free player on and off for a couple of years. It tends to be a tad heavy on the memory at times tho. For just a player I prefer Quintessential Player.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Hmm...I dont really use much in the way of a catalog. My MP3 collection is a bit of a mess and I have it all on CD anyway so I dont feel the need to organise it. I just select random and take it as it comes.

To be honest my MP3 listening has gone down dramatically. I am more into internet radio due to the sheer variety available. I use WinAMP 5 for this.

hmm...Musicmix just took too long to load up on my pc. so i dumped it. I tried Foobar and it's ok. didnt get a big chance to look at it last night. anyone else with suggestions?

Triple Platinum Member
    dont cry blasphemy at this...but im kinda ok wid wmp10...why dont u like that?

I personally prefer a player called Quintessential Player (http://www.quinnware.com/).

I dont like WMP library functionality. Although decent, it lacks many features that I've found useful in other applications.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe
    I personally prefer a player called Quintessential Player (http://www.quinnware.com/).

I dont like WMP library functionality. Although decent, it lacks many features that I've found useful in other applications.
    But it downloads cover art which I reckon is great! Do other apps do this?

dont believe so

The only windows media problem came about when
    it was damn near impossible to delete or install over
    the beta version of wmp 10, but now that the finalized
    version is out its probaly the best and easiest to operate

Triple Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaStar
    But it downloads cover art which I reckon is great! Do other apps do this?
    i reckon no other software does this...

sorry....cover art is never high on my list of stuff to have. the main item i look for in a player is that it can minimize to my system try so i dont have to look at it.

BTW...there are other players that download cover art. Quinn player does it automatically and so does Real Player.

Triple Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stripe
    sorry....cover art is never high on my list of stuff to have. the main item i look for in a player is that it can minimize to my system try so i dont have to look at it.

BTW...there are other players that download cover art. Quinn player does it automatically and so does Real Player.
    think i'll give quinn a try specially since most of the veterans recommend it...

btw...i dont thnk wmp minimizes to sys tray but the taskbar skin looks good....