Thread: Creating a Home Network slows dial up connection on XP?

Creating a Home Network slows dial up connection on XP?

I upgraded from Windows Me to windows XP on a 1000 Meghertz computer
    with 128meg of memory . I installed XP and made a dial up connection. After getting the dial-up connection working I had to install my provider's webpage accelerator software to make webpages come in. That worked fine. As oppose to making a dual book make I decide to experiment. I made a home network thur a hub to a 120 Meghertz machine. I used Link systems cards and hub to do this. The network worked fine but my dial up got slower and my providers accelerator software keeps dorpping out and stop running. This causes my dial up to stop loading webpages. My provide told me making a home network will slow things down and make my dial up worse. Would making a dual book XP system cure this. One XP operating system for a home network and one for dial up. Maybe there is a better cure for this using a single XP operating system. Does anyone know the cure or solution for
    this???
    thank you,
    Last edited by muckmail; October 27th, 2004 at 23:49 PM.

I did add a 64meg of memory to my computer. I did noticed the browser problem decreased in occurance. I guess I am getting to the point I need to consider a
    hardware upgrade of some kind. At least a memory upgrade of some kind.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    For XP 256 mb of RAM should be minimum. Upgrading to a faster processor would be ideal too.

I agree with Conan. XP just doesn't run well with less than 256 MB of memory.

You didn't describe your network. ICS or through a router, switch or hub. I used ICS with satellite internet. I had a serious download speed hit on the client computer with ICS. Was never able to solve it.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

You also show look at the network speed which your network is connecting to each other. If it's slow as that could be why your dropping out. Also are packets being lost through your network?

Also I agree with the other, try upgrading your RAM.

Don't know how to determine the thur rate for my home network. Does anyone
    know how to determine that? My network uses a Link Systems hub. It uses link systems internal cards (Office depot rebate specials). It is a DFE-530TX+,
    10/100mbps Fast Ethernet card. Looks like the changing memory to 196meg has
    helped. I will evently reformat my drive and reinstall everything. No I am just
    experimenting with win XP to see how I want it set up.
    I guess I am going to have to upgrade my motherboard, processor, memory
    & power supply. Been putting that off because I am unsure where to buy and
    what to buy for upgrade. If I upgrade motherboard, processor & memory might
    consider rebuilding a computer with my old parts and network to it. Think about
    it.
    muckmail,

So dial up speed browser speed is dependent to my home network speed. Why is
    that? Can I create a dialup connection not dependent on my home network speed?
    Why can't the home network & dialup be indepentent of each other?