Thread: Question for BB, Plextor DVD 712A

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar

Question for BB, Plextor DVD 712A

My local Best Buy had one Plextor PX-712A on clearance for $80 plus I got a $30 rebate= $50, it was between Plextor or $80 LiteOn 832s. For $50 (plex) I decided to start doing DVD

This drive gets mixed reviews @CDfreaks, some say it's the best DVD burner ever created and others say it's a media picky POS

Haven't tried DVD yet but with PlexTools this drive is awesome doing CD-R and I think it's better than my LiteOn CD-R/RW drive.

Whats your experience so far ? do you use DVD-R or DVD+R ? what brand of media works the best for you ?

Thanks...

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Mainly I use DVD+R. Though I have tried -R and I just went two days ago and bought an $12 Dual layer disc... will see how that goes.

The media I use is Ricoh 1-8X DVD+R. Every disc I have made comes out perfect. It is speedy.

Every DVD player I have tried with a DVD+R disc burned on my drive has worked. One thing I'd like to try is a RW.. Have yet to buy an RW disc though.

Did you see this FG?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    Did you see this FG?
    Yes, I was gone sorry and thanks I'm going to try my first DVD today.

Hey BB ? why did you buy a Dual layer disc ? is there firmware so Plex can do DL ?

I got it confused. I mean a 12 DVD+RW.. oops. That's the one I want to try. Will get to it some day.

As for dual layer, that is the only drawback to this drive. If there was a firmware hack for dual layer support I'd be all over it.

I made my first DVD backup (Hell Boy) and it turned out perfect

Best Buy had Fuji 8X DVD+R on sale for $12 a 25 pak, I bought 4 paks

I pay about $11 dollars for 5 Ricoh 8X. It's the only brand that is DVD+R and is 8X...

I just like the quality of a plextor drive. The actual drive mechanism, the Plextools, and I've never had an issue with a plextor drive. Now if someone could just release some hacked firmware, I'd be pleased.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    not sure about dvd-r in japan but here in the states they seem to be cheaper so I use memorex or tdk 8xdvd-r's and they seem to work in dvd players fine. and I can burn them at 8x vs 4x for dvd+r's.

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    I use memorex or tdk 8xdvd-r's and they seem to work in dvd players fine. and I can burn them at 8x vs 4x for dvd+r's.
    DVD-R work in most players, some players have a hard time with DVD+R. Thats why there's bitsetting option that changes the bookmark on DVD+R to DVD-R when you burn. The Plextor burns DVD+R at 12X and DVD-R at 8X, guess that's the opposite of LiteOn ???

Questiion for those with DVD-RW drives. Is there any reason for someone like me to get rid of CDRW and go to DVD-RW? I do not download music or movies.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

efc, I would say no! the only reason I got one was because @$50 I said what the heck. I have dial-up so it's hard to get M$ updates, movies are out of the question

If I remember correctly you have the best CD-R/RW drive of all times be happy
    Last edited by FastGame; October 29th, 2004 at 16:32 PM.