Thread: Deploying patches

Deploying patches

Hey all (first post)

Here is what I want to do. Currently with where I am there is no setup for deplying multiple patches/updates to computers on the network.

I don't really want to be installing and configuring a server for software I would like to use my own computer for this.

I'm running Windows XP Pro, on the network there is Windows 2000 and Windows XP Pro.

By using my own computer (Windows XP Pro) what would be the best way to be able to deploy patches/updates to the other computers on the network? If there any freeware software for this? Does XP have some weird setting to do this? Or do I have to purchase software I would prefer freeware if I had a choice

The reason I want to use my computer is I do support for the whole office (Only about 15-20 workstations) and I already have a heaps of patches I have downloaded but have not yet been deployed! I'm also new here so I've got a new bute computer

Thanks in advance for the help!

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Your best bet would be to install SUS on your server, then you can point all your PCs to that SUS server just like windows update... Another option would be use Group Policy to deploy the patches on the next user login ... or perhaps simply share the folder the patches are saved to, then run the patches on each computer...

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Get Ready for Windows Update Services

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...s/default.mspx

"Find out how Windows Update Services (WUS)–the next version of Software Update Services (SUS)–can help simplify and automate the deployment of patches and updates in your organization."

Anyway you go it will require a server. SUS runs on the server. And you can push with group policy, but, will also require a server.

Of course you could set up an ftp server on your computer, and netsend the employees to download the files.

For a network that small obtaining updates from Windows Update would be easiest. Software updates would probably be installed manually.