Thread: Vid Card Help

Vid Card Help

Hey everybody,

I've been busy at school and I haven't had much time to play my PC games. I started to play Homeworld 2 today and was surprised at its performance. Every few seconds of gameplay the game hangs for a few seconds. I tried Doom 3, same thing. It seems like its a video card issue because the textures are jumpy in HW2 and the lighting is completely messed up in Doom 3 (in the cutscenes especially everything is dark). I realize this may be driver related but I updated drivers and performed a roll back, neither of which helped (GeForce 4 Ti 4600).

Any ideas? Time for a new card maybe? Some setting I'm overlooking? I've defragged hard drives, scanned for viruses, spyware, etc. that doesn't seem to be the problem. Thanks for your help.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    How much free space on the HDD? What programs are you running in the background?
    It could be that the programs in the background are causing this. Shut everything down. AV, Firewall, etc.. and see if it improves while playing the games.

Doom3 requires a beast of a card. What settings are you using in these games? Try using the lowest setting.

Also what version of directX are you using? Depends on the game but that might make a difference.

How much ram? CPU? HDD speed, cache and size?

Some games allow you to run them in a safe mode. have you tried that? Did it improve performance?

Also some sound cards/drivers can effect gaming performance. Check that your sound card is updated and properly working.

Thanks for the reply. Im running it on a 8GB partition with over 2 GB free on 7200 RPM drive. I have 512 Kingston Hyper-X memory. AMD Athlon XP 3000+ (2 Ghz). Video card is GeForce Ti 4600.

I definately think this is something related to the video card because I was getting a Write Delay Failed warning bubble in the system tray. I'm pretty sure I've pinpointed the problem to NVIDIA's drivers. The newest ones completely mess everything up while an older version allows the game to play but with occasional temporary hang-ups.

Doom 3 ran surprisingly well on this machine a few weeks ago, and like I said I've been busy with class and haven't been able to play until today. I'm gonna try playing around with the drivers, but if you guys think of anything else let me know.

Try using DRIVER CLEANER

It should remove all traces of any driver, then reinstall. And before doing this, shut off any AV programs. They can interfere with the driver installation process and cause issues.

In Doom 3 the game will run fine for about a minute, then it will hang for approximately 20 seconds, and then it will kick back in only all the lighting is gone (all the textures are black). Any ideas?

try the driver cleaner.

Is your graphics card overheating? On my 9600XT I have this program written by asus called smart doctor, allows me to check the GPU temps. Might be your are overheating the card?

if that is the case, consider adding another cooling fan to your case, or add a new GPU fan/heatpipe etc...

Perhaps it's time to upgrade, if you are into gaming. An X800XT platinum card should do quite nicely with any game out there.

$400+... Thanks but no thanks. Unless you're giving them out, then sure, I'll take one!

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    That's a pretty old card to be handling today's games. I think a 9800 Pro would be an affordable upgrade for $ 200 or less.

X800 Pro right now is $215 on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    X800 Pro right now is $215 on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW
    That's damn cheap Boogs!

I thought so too conan.

Key Features:

* Worlds Most Powerful VPU
    * Break Through Image Quality
    * Advanced 3D Architecture

This item is NEW and has never been opened.

Get the most powerful grpahics card on the market with ATI and essex. This graphics card boasts a high 256MB GDDR3 Memory. The bidding will begin at .99! So hurry because this deal will be gone fast!!!!!!
    I don't think you can find that card at that price...