Thread: loss of priceless pictures

Triple Platinum Member

Unhappy loss of priceless pictures

i got a huge problem...the pics my mum and dad tool of their anniversary trip across europe were erased a couple of months bak...and mum wanted to get them printed out today ..she was really disappointed whn i told her everything...

i referred this problem to the forum members earlier and didnt get a reply..thought id ask again..id appreciate any help at all..

i was trying to install mandrake but there were a few screw ups in my installation procedure...i recovered xp with the hp discs i had...but not without having to force a format.

the formattiong took around 10-15 seconds (i guess) so im assuming it was a quick format...

now comes the question...is there ne way on earth to get back those pics..im willing to take pro help from some of the local ppl here...provided its possible...

PLEASE SAVE ME!!!

ps: i was really clueless about choosing the rite category for this post..sorry
    Last edited by rohitk89; November 2nd, 2004 at 13:04 PM.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Try this, I have no experience with it though:

http://www.pcinspector.de/file_recovery/uk/download.htm

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Conans right on the money. you need to be very carefull if you are using the hard drive that you formated. the pictures will only be there until they are written over. once the space they occupy is written to, each pics will be destroyed until all the space is written on.

good luck
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by rohitkumar
    is there ne way on earth to get back those pics..
    I don't think so - and even if there was a way, I don't know about it.

Anyway, I just wanted to give you some advice for the future. Backup regularly - especially before trying something like installing Linux.

I can't believe you "forgot" (my assumption) to backup before attempting to install Mandrake . I wish you had seen what I did before installing SP2. I backed up all pics, vids, docs... everything. I even backed up all my games' profiles! Some might think this is being too paranoid, but it's not, and the biggest proof is what happenned to you.

And backup at least once a month just in case your hard drive suddenly dies.

Good luck! Hope you can miraculously recover your lost files.

Triple Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hotmale
    I don't think so - and even if there was a way, I don't know about it.

Anyway, I just wanted to give you some advice for the future. Backup regularly - especially before trying something like installing Linux.

I can't believe you "forgot" (my assumption) to backup before attempting to install Mandrake . I wish you had seen what I did before installing SP2. I backed up all pics, vids, docs... everything. I even backed up all my games' profiles! Some might think this is being too paranoid, but it's not, and the biggest proof is what happenned to you.

And backup at least once a month just in case your hard drive suddenly dies.

Good luck! Hope you can miraculously recover your lost files.
    i didn't forget..i never took backup serious enuf...now ive learnt my lesson...egghead's post is my only ray of hope..im getting proffesional help sometime today...

btw: i tried the link conan gave me and even found some "lost drives" and found folders on them whose names were made up of weird looking symbols...i gave up though it ws too complicated for me...plus i dont want to have more screw ups to deal with...like i said im going for pro help...