Thread: Newer SATA Drives & Older ATA drive supprot

Newer SATA Drives & Older ATA drive supprot

Could someone tell me more about newer SATA drives and how well
    they are catching on? Will the new motherboards continue to support
    the older ATA 133 drives that are common today? Are they currently
    making motherboards that support both drives? Do they make conversion
    adapters and how well do they work? Just update me on new motherboard and drive technology if possaable.
    Thank you,

SATA drives are much better over IDE. Mainly because the cable is thinner which allows for better airflow in the case. Some say SATA is less noisy. I have an IDE as my primary and a SATA as my secondary and the SATA is quieter. The reason I have my setup like this is because when I built my computer you had to put the SATA drivers on a floppy in order to boot from it the first time. I don't have a floppy in the computer, so I had to use an IDE. But now with most motherboards you don't have to do that, you can usually choose SATA in the BIOS as your first boot device and it should work. I definetly suggest getting SATA over IDE, it's really not that much more expensive at all (a few dollars). newegg has a Maxtor 300GB 7200RPM SATA drive WITH 16MB CACHE and NCQ!!!!! Awesome.
    www.mightymo.net

i am looking to buy a SATA drive to upgrade my computer. honestly the reason i'm going SATA is b/c i already have two IDE hard drives, and two dvd drives, thus taking up all my IDE space.

i have to find the specs on my mobo, but i'm pretty damn sure it takes at least one more SATA device. is there anything differnt from a installation point of view? just plug it in, windows recognizes it, then i format it? its been a wihle since i've added a hd to an existing system.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zak8022
    is there anything differnt from a installation point of view? just plug it in, windows recognizes it, then i format it? its been a wihle since i've added a hd to an existing system.
    Some people claim installing a single SATA drive requires drivers. I didn't install any drivers for my setup. I just plugged it in, enabled it in BIOS and then formatted.

cool... thanks. i'll have to keep that in mind. i figure i'll see what happens when i get it... which could be a while, lol. i'll have to deal with no hd space. (its only my home computer, so i can live with rationing my space for a while)

Quote Originally Posted by Conan
    Some people claim installing a single SATA drive requires drivers. I didn't install any drivers for my setup. I just plugged it in, enabled it in BIOS and then formatted.

That's because your SATA controller's BIOS recognized all the drives you threw at it.
    www.mightymo.net