Thread: Do flat screen monitors scan like conventional monitors?

Do flat screen monitors scan like conventional monitors?

I know TVs and conventional monitors do, but was wondering if flat screen monitors do also.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I assume from Flat Screen monitor you mean TFT LCD or Plasma monitors, as you can get Flat Screen Tube CRT monitors and TVs...

There are different metrics for monitors the main ones being Refresh rates (horizontal and vertical), response time, resolution and method of displaying images...

CRT fire electrons or photons (?) onto the back of the screen front, while LCD or plasma simply excite the actual pixel in each location... and I think thats how they differ the most, both types require a refresh rate or response time to display the next frame/image in a movie clip...

others can elaborate more on this...

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

CRT monitors fire a beam of electrons using a electron gun. The intensity of the beam is regulated by the monitor's control chip. The beam is directed onto the screen by a magnetic field which manipulates the beam to travel left and right. The magnetic field is again controled by the IC. This beam is directed to travel in across a glass screen coated with a phospor. The phospor when hit by electrons glows. With the ability to hold a charge for a split second, the electron beam travels back and forth to refresh the image thus you get the black lines. But your mind is tricked so you don't see any lines. But a camcorder can capture the lines becasue of the high rate of capture. Since a video is made up of a sequence of images, each image since having such a short exposure time captures the black lines which means that the phospors there is losing its charge. The image you see comes from the glowing phospors only and you will go blind if you are hit directly by the electrons which comes to the point of "radiation" from the monitor.

In LCDs, the entire screen is lit on the inside by a VERY powerful floursent light (pure white). The screen is also made up of a large circuit board which contains transistors, millions of them. Each pixel is powered by 1 transistor. Over this is laid a grid over which a liquid chemical (hence the name) which is electrically sensitive, is coated. The transistors control a charge which passes to each "grid square". Depending on the charge of the transistor, the polarity of the grid square will change. The higher the charge, the more light the pixel will block. The liquid crystal acts in this way like shutters according to the electrical charge. A alternating colour filter of red green and blue is placed over the grid, the three colours mixed together give a certain colour. The amount of light passing through determines the brightness.
    The main thing here is that the refresh happens to all the transistors at one time so its like the image is replaced on and on rather than being redrawn by a beam in the CRT. So you won't see black lines. But if a camcorder is fast enough it will capture flickering instead.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Great explanation Josh!

wow.. yea that was a great explanation. Thanks!!

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    good elaboration Josh!

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---