Thread: Mp3 Player CHAOS!! Need suggestions!

Exclamation Mp3 Player CHAOS!! Need suggestions!

Sorry guys, I'm not really yelling. :P
    Anyway, I am about to buy an MP3 Player this Christmas and I really don't know which is best (considering the fact that I've never used or owned one before).
    Anyway, I have two favorites.
    Should I buy an Apple 4th generation 40GB iPod or an Archos AV400 series PVP?
    If Archos is so much better in features and battery life, why is it not rated as high? That's the only reason that's holding me back from getting an iPod already.
    Anyhoo, if you say iPod, should I get an 4th gen or a iPod PHOTO?
    And if you say Archos, should I get a AV400 or should I wait for the AV500 to come out?
    Any suggestions would be nice. thx

Triple Platinum Member
    read hotmale's thread on a similar topic here: http://www.techzonez.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12084

No, it is not the same thing. They are debating between an iPod and a Rio Karma. And there is only one reply on the AV400 and it doesn't answer my question.

Triple Platinum Member
    ok... well my take is that ipod is more popular cuz of it brand name maybe...its safer to by the standard stuff...and maybe that's why ppl rate it higher...but ppl also rated ie6 higher not a long while back...

i wud personally go for the ipod (just as i would go for xp over linux and intel over amd for reasons mentioned above, though i guess i never would have found firefox if i didnt experiment..)

I have a 4th gen ipod and im pretty happy wid it's performance..it looks good and the click wheel is awesome, though some ppl dont find it very comfy to use...

in addition, there might be some features in the archos player which u might find more useful than the ones on the ipod...so i guess it finally comes down to you to decide on which one u want..

edit: i said "similar" thread fullswing...

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I'd go with the archos for the video, audio, and it functions as a personal photo wallet (store photos and show family and friends), VCR/DVR/, FM Radio, etc... You could even use it as a DVD player (copying your DVDs to the player shouldn't be too difficult)...

But, best of all, in buying the AV400 you are also getting a pocket digital VCR. When linked to the TV through the base station, it replaces a standard VCR with something better. If installation is a nuisance, it's no worse than with an analog VCR. Using the remote, you soon get used to using the Archos. And it means you can carry your videos or transmissions that you have just recorded around with you so you can watch them somewhere else - to say nothing of the ability to directly transfer photos from a digital camera via the memory card.

The AV400 opens up a new era in convergence. Not only does Archos combine the computer world with that of the TV, but it even adds mobility. Welcome to the future.

In view of the AV 400's large range of capabilities, the price of $550 (600 euros) is not excessive. Their policy on optional accessories is rather a pity, however. And if 20 GB is not enough for you, Archos will soon offer models with 80- and 100-GB hard drives. The expanded versions, however, will be heavier, weighing in at a hefty 10 ounces (320 grams), and they will also be thicker. On the other hand, the screen will be enlarged to 3.8". The 80-GB version will retail for $800 (900 euros).
    Courtesy of egghead:

http://www.tomshardware.com/mobile/20040706/index.html

If you had the money the 80GB version would certainly be a positive! Imagine a 100GB though At 10 ounces with those added features, I'd say buck the Ipod trend and go with something that has added functionality as well as all the features of the competitor.

Quote Originally Posted by rohitkumar
    edit: i said "similar" thread fullswing...
    sorry, heh

Anyone else
    Suggestions?
    Also, if I have music stored on my computer, can I transfer them to an iPod or an PVP without warnings of digital copyright laws or somethin'?