Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: locked out...

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    No sign of any battery? PC's have little batteries about 1.5 cm in diameter in order to keep some basic settings (like the time).

Not sure about laptops though.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Not sure about laptops though.
    I'm sure they have the same, all the ones i've dropped ... err... opened did

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

With the PC turned off remove the BIOS battery (disc battery usually near bottom of MoBo) and short the two parts of the battery holder together for a couple of seconds. This will clear the BIOS. Re-insert the battery and turn the PC on, you will now need to re-configure the BIOS for your hardware. If you don't know how to configure the BIOS for the hardware - don't do any of this, take it to someone that can.

i cant find any battery to remove other then this little 3v mini thin battery.... and removing that doesnt do anything

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    IBM have securities options that are famous. I see you found out why
    That is why they are so popular in corporate enviroments. It is very posible that you had that password from before. Did you buy the PC used?
    Probably something was skipping the password, and that is no longer active. They usually have s jumper, but it might not be so obvious since they want to hide it. If you forget your thinkpad password you have to send the laptop to IBM.
    Unplug the power cable, remove the batery, try to switch the PC on, both from the button at the front and from the button in the power supply (if it has) then leave it withouth the batery for 10, or more minutes. Relax, watch The simpsoms, then re-insert the batery, and try again

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    Humm, I did a litle research, the password is saved in Flash memory, so removing the batery might not help at all (Try anyhow). Also, it is stored in the HD.
    F1 enters you into the BIOS, right??
    There seems to be a chip to replace the security chip of the PC
    I found this link. It is for the thinkpad. You might want to contact them to find out more. http://www.nortek.on.ca/hdd_pw.html
    I had to be in the IBM web site for Support on Lotus, man, I hate their support.
    They have forums thought
    Do you knwo the model number?
    I read in the IBM web site that the numbers from the numpad and from the number keys are different. So check that when entering the password
    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...cs=utf-8&lang=
    I also found some information. I would need the model number again to give you exact information. Look at this:
    http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...cs=utf-8&lang=
    Check that S1. SW2 is to bypass password

Platinum+ Member
    I read somewhere that removing the CMOS lithium battery will clear the BIOS information. I dont know if it will clear the bios info completely, or what u will need after removing it.
    I'm not very sure, so u could take a look at the removing the cmos options. Dont do it before asking some of the TZ guys
    this link offers somin - http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hard..._10224072.html

CMOS battery removal COULD be an option.But once again, i dont know much abt this.

I dont have any personal experience with a laptop but i did remove the battery on my desktop PC once and the password was indeed cleared