Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: locked out...

Angry locked out...

last night i tried to get onto my computer so i could run a defragment while i did some homework, but when i turn it on, it shows the first little startup up screen with the name and brand of computer then it goes immediatley to a black DOS like screen with a "key" shape in the upper left hand corner. i type things and i found out there is a 7 character limit on the password you can enter and after three tries, it says "Incorrect Password. System Halted." or something to that effect. i have no idea why it suddenly did this... so can anyone help me out?

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    that sounds like a computer laptop bios screen.

if that is indeed a laptop and it is password protected, you will need to contact the vendor.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

its not a laptop, its a desktop

sorry about that short post, i accidentally hit the post button with my mouse....its an IBM Aptiva.... dont know what year it is but its fairly old... if it was up to me id just get rid of the damn thing but its not mine and i doubt that the owner wants to spend any money to buy a new one so im trying to keep this thing running as long as possible

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Could you just hit the reset button on the PC, and start the computer again? would it go straight into windows, or does it stop at that black screen asking for a password?

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    IBM APTIVA BIOS - Press both mouse buttons repeatedly during the boot

see if that lets you in.

egghead
    ------------------------------------------------------------

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Did you leave the computer un-attended at some point? I could only think that someone put on a password, perhaps as a joke?

i didnt know there was a reset button on computers, i mean, besides the power button if thats wat u mean and im gonna try to go do this clicking mouse repetedly thing real quick and theres no possibility it is a joke, im the only one in the house who knows how to work the damn thing

ya that mouse clicking thing didnt work either... sounds like my comp is screwed ehh? nothing works....

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    There is probably a jumper on the motherboard that will clear the passwords. Resetting that should allow you to boot Windows normally. You will have to check either on the IBM website, in the documentation or call them to see if that jumper exists and where it is and how to operate it.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Does removing the BIOS battery do the same thing? If so you can take out the battery for a while, then but it back in and boot up.

i guess ill try and find out if it has a jumper and where it is, and what is the BIOS battery.... i didnt know desktop computers had batteries, this is all pretty discouraging though...

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    No need to get discouraged ...We're here to help if we can. Opening the system and moving the jumper is no big deal. You're just training and increasing your "Geekdom".

well i opened my computer up and its really dusty in there.... i only saw one set of switches that i could mess with, i must have been looking at the wrong diagram or something but i screwed around with them.... the only thing that happened was a different screen came up before the little key on the black screen... it said something about the clock beign misconfigured and somthing else and i trued to push F1 to get into setup like it said, but it just took my straight back to the key....:S i guess ill try lookin at a couple more things before i give up for the night

i cant find anything about the jumper switch.... i must not be looking in the right area or something.... i dont know...