Thread: Clark Connect (check this out)

Thumbs up Clark Connect (check this out)

Clark Connect is a small server app that will allow you to use an old computer or one that is not being used to make a Firewall/VPN box. Tom's Hardware has a review on it.

I have installed both the Home 2.2 and the Firewall/VPN 2.2 versions. Each has it's own benifit and very worth will to check out if one is interested in this type of app. Check it out............

Oh yea it is free if one is not a company.....

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    That is a nice find. Is it as easy to setup as Tom's makes it sound?

Very easy. I downloaded the ISO burned it and then downloaded the floppy boot and away we go. It will come up as a Firewall right off the bat. GUI easy as well.

Titanium Member
    What is the power requirement difference between a router and an old PC - or is it negligable.

Well the router will comsume less power. However you are limited as to what you can do, with cc you configure most of what you want it to do and it is a linux kernel so the security is tops....

I have been working with Clark Connect and find it to be very friendly. I am stealth to the Internet now. There are as well many plugins for the software that one can use to enhance your network. The next upgrade is going to be "Home 3.0". Firewall/VPN will be incorporated into the home version. Home 3.0 If you have a small home network you may want to check this out.

Anyone use this and Mitel SME Server? How do they compare, I have been using various Mitel SME server and e-smith distros for some time. SME is so stable it's a bit of a set it and forget it box you just put them in set up Squid, Squidguard and any other services you want then hardly ever look at it again.

I believe that once Home 3.0 comes out that is the way it will be. At this time I have CC on a set it and forget it computer that I pieced together. Using Firewall/VPN does not allow one to use some of the Home features such as File sharing, Print server and the like. My hopes are that since they doing away with Firewall/VPN that Home 3.0 will encompass all features.

I just check CC now and then to make sure it is O.K. and to learn more about the settings.
    So far so good.

Looks good

In the article you posted a link to it states that the system is RH9 and it hasn't been adulterated just the CC software runs on top. I guess that means you can get in there and configure anything just how you like - that's cool. Mitel SME is adulterated RH and some things can be a bit mind bending to alter even if you are used to Linux - I will take a look at it as soon as I get a chance to DL it.

Home 3.0 Beta 1

Home 3.0 Beta 2 is to be released after the first of the month.