Thread: XP hangs at "setup is starting windows"

XP hangs at "setup is starting windows"

hello.

i am working on a computer for a friend, he thinks he got a virus so i told him id look at it. well ive tried booting from the windows xp disc many times and it hangs at the same exact spot. its hangs at the point where all the setup files are loaded and at the bottom it says "Setup is starting windows". hangs right there.

ive used this windows disk many tymes b4. actually i just used it yesterday and it works fine.

when i manage to boot into safemode, the computer acts very strange...the mouse wont move and when i go to move it, i hear this buzzing/beeping sound coming from the built in speaker.

ive used a harddrive from a computer i know works, it still hangs at "setup is starting windows" when i use the Xp disk, also i cant boot into windows even on a HD i KNOW works.

any ideas? i stripped all pci cards out. ive tried booting with the cd drive disconnected...cant be a virus cuz i tried using a fresh HD with a fresh copy of windows.

could the mobo be fried? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.\

i dunno specs to well, but i know its a pentium 700mhz...128mb ram...

-beebster

NOTE: i've renamed the thread title to reflect your question more precisely.Using "Please help" as a thread title is not very informative.

Rev
    Last edited by Reverend; November 8th, 2004 at 09:27 AM.

thanks ^^

Can you give the specifications of the computer . That might be useful. Have you tried partitioning the hard drive before install? Or at least a format?
    Get Quintessential player, the alternative to winamp! ( www.quinnware.com )

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    also, you might want to try a different mouse and KB...

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    seems like a IRQ conflict with the mouse and soundcard...have you tried clearing the CMOS and setting it to default just to load xp.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Old thread, but I am experiencing similar problems on my wife's PC. Microsoft has a knowledge base article about this problem:

Windows Setup Hangs When "Setup Is Starting Windows" Screen Appears
    View products that this article applies to.
    Article ID : 217073
    Last Review : November 21, 2003
    Revision : 3.0
    This article was previously published under Q217073
    SYMPTOMS
    During text-mode Setup in Windows, your computer may stop responding (hang) when the "Setup is starting Windows" screen appears, and you may have to restart it.

NOTE: Hardware detection is occurring during this portion of Setup. Based on your computer's configuration, this process may take 30 minutes or longer. Be sure your computer is actually hung before you restart it. If you can restart your computer by pressing CTRL+ALT+DELETE, it is probably not hung.
    Back to the top Back to the top
    CAUSE
    This behavior can occur if Windows does not recognize or cannot configure the hardware in your computer.
    Back to the top Back to the top
    RESOLUTION
    To work around this behavior, use the following methods:
    Contact your computer manufacture to inquire about an updated Basic Input/Output System (BIOS).
    Modify your computer's BIOS the following ways:
    Change the Plug and Play settings. For example, if Plug and Play functionality is currently being controlled by the BIOS, change it so it is controlled by the operating system.
    Enable or disable Universal Serial Bus (USB) support.
    Disable power management support.
    Disable infrared support.
    Disable all serial ports.
    Remove non-essential hardware devices one at a time. This includes a second video adapter, Small Computer System Interface (SCSI) adapters, modems, sound cards, network adapters, and other non-essential Industry Standard Architecture (ISA) adapters, Peripheral Component Interconnect (PCI) adapters, and PC Cards.
    Disconnect non-essential external devices and cables, such as backup devices, external hard disk drives, printers, and scanners.
    If you are using a notebook computer, verify that it is not currently in a docking station.
    Specify a different computer type when you start your computer. For additional information, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    216251 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216251/EN-US/) How to Specify a Specific or Third-Party HAL During Setup
    Using a text editor, disable unnecessary SCSI lines in the [SCSI.LOAD] section of the Txtsetup.sif file by typing a semicolon ( at the beginning of each line.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=217073

I am trying to sort this out... but it's looking more and more like a hardware failure (yeah I can go buy some new stuff )

We'll see. My laptops acting weird too so it could be a virus that's gotten on my LAN.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I just figured my problem out... it was a faulty USB/Firewire PCI card. I have to go get a new one soon. Once I removed the device the system booted fine.