Thread: Recomendation for a laptop

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Recomendation for a laptop

I am looking for a sub 1000 laptop. Ac tually more like sub 800, or the less possible the better.
    It is for my mom. She is driving me nuts
    Mayne one of you guys is doing laptop shopping too

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Wonderful Laptops for a mom who's son doesn't want to spend a bunch of $$$

Aren't moms a pain sometimes??
    I already told her about Wallmart
    they had a nice HP for 798
    Then she decided to look more
    Now they sell it only with an extra kit, and she decided to wait until black friday
    But, still she looks for it online and its driving me nuts
    every single laptop she sees she ask

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Inspiron 1150 - Use 25% off coupon, $150 rebate = $686 shipped
    # Pentium-4 2.8GHz, 14.1" XGA, 256MB DDR, 30GB Drive, 24X CD/RW/DVD
    # Integrated A/V, 10/100 + 56k + 54G, Free ISP, XP Home, 90-Day Warranty

Dell Home has 25% off $999 Inspiron Notebooks with coupon code 2WL7WMLD3Q4G23 [Exp 11/15, 5:59am CST]. May not be combinable with dollars off, percentages off, Deals of the Week, Outrageous Deals, or select other promotions. Only one coupon may be applied per cart at checkout. Offers subject to change. View details in My Cart. Enter coupon code at checkout to receive this offer.

Use 25% off $999 Inspiron code 2WL7WMLD3Q4G23 [Exp 11/15] for these offers:
    http://bensbargains.net/cgi-bin/a.cgi?dhs

I know this might sound strange. I have a bussiness account with Dell, and they suck
    Their sales rep (which changed 4 times so far in 2 years) forgets to put orders in, I have to re-confirm every single order, and on top of that, once the sent me the wrong RAID controller card for a server, which incurr in extra investment needed since we had a consultant and still had to pay for his day, thought he did nothing thanks to Dell. On top of that, from 10 Dell PCs we have (whcih 5 are servers) we have problems with 5, and 2 are servers. Starting with wrong Hard drive drivers, which create sector errors in Windows, then MY OWN PC which every now and then decides to delete my profile because thinks is is "Corrupted space" (and this is not the HDD failing, but the HDD controller, since I lose the CD-ROM too) a Latitude laptop which has poltergeist (it types by eltself and the mouse move as it desires). Docking station which don't support KVM switches. And a computer which refuses to boot.
    I don't think I will buy from Dell again, but the price looks good
    Why laptops have to be so complicated. Desktop is easier

I think each transaction with Dell is handled by a variety of call centers. So indeed, the issues you had might have been with 5 or 10 different subsidiaries of Dell.

That is the cheapest and most powerful laptop in new condition that I could find at that price.

One thing I will say about Dell, they have a great warranty. If you have a problem and RMA is just a phone call away.

As for the maker, every one of them are going to have bad support at one time or another. It really depends on the month, model, support center etc..

Business accounts and consumer accounts run on different levels of oraganization. I'm sure that Rik might be able to shed light on this.

But if you want to pass on that fabulous deal, I can understand. We all have our preferences. If I come across a cheaper unit, (tiger direct) I'll send on the information.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...RCCODE=WEM795C

There's a Toshiba model for $799. The only downside I see is the processor is a celeron.

TKS
    I forgot to post. I made line at Best Buy at 4 AM so I could buy a Toshiba, Celerom M 330 512 KB LV2, 1,4 Ghz, 40GB DVD/CD-RW combo for 500 (no rebates) I was there until 7:30, but then, we got the laptopwe also got a D-Link 11g router and notebook card for 9.99 (after rebates) so my mum is happy.
    Since I was already there I got also for myself a bonus: Silent Hill 3 for the PC , unfortunately they didn't have the DVD version (4 CD set + OST)
    So I will be busy with another horror/survival game