Thread: Firefox and Security

Firefox and Security

I hope many will respond to this question as it is a matter of opinion to some extent at least.

I read that Firefox offers far better protection against viruses and worms (and hackers?). And I gather that MSIE is very vulnerable to security flaws BECAUSE it's been around for years and so its limitations have been probed and discovered (and virus programs written to exploit the weaknesses.)

Is the primary reason then why Firefox appears highly rated for its security efficiency because it hasn't been around for years and not because it's done a super++ job of keeping viruses out? And I keep up to date with virus updates (NAV) and all of Microsoft's Windows updates that are classified as 'critical' I also runSpybot at least every 2 months.

I've used MSIE since September 98, along with NAV, firewalls and recently a router. The only virus to ever hit me was the Chernobyl virus and that was only because I had not installed virus software at that time. And for a long time I had dial-up; I did not get broadband until July or August 2002.

wumply
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Normally the most widely used software is the most highly attacked by viruses and spyware (eg. Microsoft applications). I don't think it's due to security efficiency but I could be wrong.

This comes from the FAQ section at Mozilla.org.

Is Firefox more secure than Internet Explorer?

Yes, Firefox and all other Mozilla-based products are more secure. Why? Here is a list of the most important reasons:

* It is not integrated with Windows, which helps prevent viruses and hackers from causing damage if they somehow manage to compromise Firefox.
    * There is no support for VBScript and ActiveX, two technologies which are the reasons for many IE security holes.
    * No spyware/adware software can automatically install in Firefox just by visiting a web site.
    * Firefox doesn't use Microsoft's Java VM, which has a history of more flaws than other Java VMs.
    * You have complete control over cookies.
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

Precision Processor Super Moderator egghead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by efc
    This comes from the FAQ section at Mozilla.org.

Is Firefox more secure than Internet Explorer?

Yes, * No spyware/adware software can automatically install in Firefox just by visiting a web site.
    if that's not enough reason, check out the news on the front page,
    http://www.techzonez.com/comments.php?shownews=11062

you must download the latest release of ad-aware and then update the def files and you should be good to go. I suggest scanning every weekend but 2 month's is too long and must be a typo.
    I downloaded the new version of ad-aware on a friends computer and it found over 900 spies.

he said to me that the program found 3 the day before. his version was out of date.

cheers!

www.lavasoftusa.com
    ad-aware
    ------------------------------------------------------------