Thread: Slow connection between 2 LAN PCs

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Slow connection between 2 LAN PCs

Ok, I am transfering files from one of my computers to other, and boy, it takes forever.
    OK, I have SP2 in both computers, but both have the firewall off, I also have protowall in both computers. And I have Sygate on the other computer. I don't want to turn off Sygate or protowall, but I want to speed up the connection internally. I discovered that if protowall is logging allowed packets it makes the connection slower. Also, Sygate takes a lot of CPU when transfering big files in the LAN.
    I put my IP address in the other computers Sygate to be allowed and it seemed to help a little, but still I have 150 to transfer only 1.25 GB
    I was wondering if I do a crossover connection between my PC and the other (I have 2 interface in each) can I set that not to be monitored at all?
    Then, how Do I do to make the trasnfer thru that Interface for local alone??

I would think you can do both. Set the crossover connection to a differnet network. You should be able to tell sygate or protowall not to filter that connection. If need be, just disable the other network while you transfer files.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    TKS for the answer. I was thinking to that I just hadn't had time to patch the crossover cable yet. With luck I will have it done this weekend

Im certainly not the divine right when it comes to networking, however may I suggest making sure that all your networking cards are set for the same link speed (this is if you are NOT using a crossover - instead simply two ethernet cables hooked to your router or hub) . I recently hooked up two of my PCs together via a wireless router and noticed it was INCREDIBLY slow, then was made aware that the network was operating at 10mbit when it shoulda been at 100mbit. I set the two cards (right click on your Local Area Connection -> Properties, click "Configure", browse to the "Advanced" tab and it'll say something like "Media Type" or "Link Speed" - set it to 100mb Full duplex) to 100mbit and worked like a charm. Transferred about 20gigs in 30 minutes. This is of course if you have a router / hub and if its capable of 100mbit speeds. Good luck.