Thread: Video Card List

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar

Video Card List

I am trying to get some info in Video cards, so I can buy a new one. Since money is scarce I am trying to choose wisely, the best that I can get with the less money. So, I thought first part would be to make a list of the video cards. Arranged by performance, and put a guide price. So from there, according to sales in the week, it is easy to see if it is actually a bargain or not. With the number system from ATI and Nvidia I feel it is actually quite hard to do this. So, I thought. Well the very well inform community at TZ will like to take a project like this, right? We can make it a sticky and update it often, so we have one place to check for info. Generally when I am looking for info I see the comparisons made in THG and Anadtech's.
    What do you guys think of this idea? With Black Friday coming, it should be pretty helpful

I see I was very little sucesfull with my idea

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    This is a great Idea Dehc, sorry for not seeing it earlier.

Check below for a rough list of cards in approx. order of value/performace etc

I have australian prices from MSY, but US ppl should check out Newegg or pricewatch et al.
    Last edited by cash_site; November 21st, 2004 at 04:18 AM. Reason: double post

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    This is a great Idea Dehc, sorry for not seeing it earlier.

• PCI-x
      • Nvidia
        • pcx5300
        • pcx5750
        • pcx5900
        • pcx6600
        • pcx6800
      • Ati
        • X300
        • X600
        • X700
        • X800
    • AGP
      • Nvidia
        • FX5200
        • FX5500
        • FX5700
        • FX5900
        • FX6600
        • FX6800
      • Ati
        • X800

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Well, lets see, why don't we put it all together. I see the most difficult part is to compare between Nvidia and ATI generally.
    I suggest this. Lets make a list where cards are listed by performance. We will assign an average number (since performance rating changes by benchmark) and then we put the average price next to it. This is because prices oscilate a lot. There might be a good sale for a FX5900 at the price of a 5700 for example. Another thing would be for the features. DirectX9 compatible or not??
    I will start working on the AGP list now. I am kind of outdated on the new cards thoguht so I leave the PCI-X to somebody else.

Well, I have a rather lenghtly description of cards. It is more like a sumary of THG card guide. I have saved a HTML and a doc version. The HTML version is about 4 times smaller , thought the doc looks better.
    Since I cannot upload html I attached the doc.
    This is meant as a quick reference that I created for myself to create the chart. For now I am going to sleep and I will re-take this tomorrow, since there are a lot of cards to list
    I was thinking about 2 ways. Give a number in order to the cards, (from the first to the better, to the last number to the last) and then add the numbers. The card with lower number is the better. This is quick, but I would like to be able to diferenciate between performance, so I thought about using percentage. If the maximum score that a card got in Doom 3 for example was 67.9 I would make that the 100%, and the rest will be a percentage of that. That would show the difference, but I haven't find a way to add all benchs together to create an overral number.
    Any ideas how we should put them together???
    Good Night