Thread: SBC/YAHOO DSL question

SBC/YAHOO DSL question

Anybody that has SBC/YAHOO DSL, on their Web Site SBC says the will give you all the stuff for free, except for the monthly fee, but they also say that they will charge like $200 for instillation fees if you require instillation. What would they be doing other than pugging the modem into the existing phone jack?

Second of all sorry for putting this thread in this forum. I dont know which forum this should be in.

$200 for installation of the products that come with SBCyahoo is way overpriced for what they need to do... the installation kit they send you out gives you several installation jacks, and a wallmount telephone jack... you need to plug all your phones into the provided phone jack exensions they give you... that's about it... if you can plug a phone into a wall jack then you can install DSL it's pathetic!

thanks, they just love ripping people off

yeah it's really insane what they expect people to pay to install this stuff... a screwdriver and some common sense in this case can cure the installation blues...

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    yeah but you gotta figure they have to hire someone to install these modems, drive to ungodly locations, and get them to work with an infinite number of differentiating systems.

Some people can't even plug a toaster in without help.. So $200 for a troublefree install by a "professional" seems like a steal for those not so technically inclined people. Plus if there is a problem like line noise, bad phone jacks and so on a technician can usually troubleshoot it on the spot.

yeah I guess that's true... but the install pack they send you is rather pathetic... I suppose to those who are not technically inclined it would be peace of mind.

Bronze Member
    They send you an 'Install pack' or they have a tech come out for $200? I'm a little confused on that. Either way I wouldn't do that. The installation for my internet was *free* because I'm sharing with the downstairs neighbors....shhhh.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mousesk
    They send you an 'Install pack' or they have a tech come out for $200? I'm a little confused on that. Either way I wouldn't do that. The installation for my internet was *free* because I'm sharing with the downstairs neighbors....shhhh.
    Better hope your neighbor doesn't know how to packet sniff Or you might find some strange charges on your credit card, or your identity could be stolen, or god knows what else.