Thread: Backing up files

Question Backing up files

This may sound retarded but hey, I've already been yelled at by my IT brother so bring it on . I tried to fix Windows Media 10 using the repair feature on my XP cd. That was last night. Now, my computer says that my wireless is disconnected, even though I enabled the wireless and the driver is up-to-date. Windows Media doesn't recognize my cd burner. And to top it all off, the repair feature on my XP cd is acting up. I'm at my wits end . Can anyone help?

By the way, since my brother suggested I reformat my computer, how do I backup everything using the Backup feature in System Tools. It only allows me to use either the D drive or F drive. I want to use CD-Rs in the E drive. I'm not sure if I have to format the CD-Rs first or if I can just drag and drop. This is getting so complicated.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    I would download a program - such as Nero - and burn all your data (most likely in 'My Documents') to CD. I would steer away from the Backup utility as I dont think it's all that great.

Once you are confident that you have all your data backed up, then you can go the path of the reformat! Lot's of fun

Thanks. My brother lent me his extra hard drive to backup all of my files. I'm now in the process of reformating. I've noticed in a lot of threads here that reformatting is the preferred option in most cases. It's a pain to do it and I wish I didn't have to, but hey... such is life.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    You chose the best backup method anyway. Let us know how the reinstall goes.

Well. It went beautifully until I started to restore my backed up files. Now it says that I don't have access to the files after I restore them. I changed my username on my computer when I reformated it, but I don't know if that's the problem. I hope someone can help me figure this out. I'd just die if I can't restore my saved files.

Well, I figured out how to restore my files. I had to change ownership and give myself permission to access my own files. Go figure. Just when I think I've seen it all, Microsoft goes and does something unexpected.

You always have had to do that on NTFS drives because the file system keeps a record of the files access rights (access control list). If you had used FAST (files and settings transfer wizard) it would have sorted it for you and kept your desktop, dial up, networking and email settings. Now that really is MS doing something unexpected.

Quote Originally Posted by Curio
    You always have had to do that on NTFS drives because the file system keeps a record of the files access rights (access control list). If you had used FAST (files and settings transfer wizard) it would have sorted it for you and kept your desktop, dial up, networking and email settings. Now that really is MS doing something unexpected.
    How do you access FAST? How do you work it?

Thanks

Just go to Start-> Programs -> Accessories- -> System Tools -> File ans system settings Transfer Wizard.

Just follow it step by step. It will walk you thru things and is easy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by nickel
    By the way, since my brother suggested I reformat my computer, how do I backup everything using the Backup feature in System Tools. It only allows me to use either the D drive or F drive. I want to use CD-Rs in the E drive. I'm not sure if I have to format the CD-Rs first or if I can just drag and drop. This is getting so complicated.
    Windows Backup tool does not support backing up to CD-r or DVD-r.