View Poll Results: Is Kingston memory worth twice the money of other major name brands?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes, Kingston is worth twice the money.

0 0%
  • No, Kingston brand is not worth twice the money.

5 100.00%
  • Kingston is a little better than the other major name brands [please specify]

0 0%

Thread: Is Kingston memory worth twice as much as Major name brands?

Arrow Is Kingston memory worth twice as much as Major name brands?

It costs twice as much when configuring a PC.

Thank you

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Depends on what the Major name brands your talking about ? Kingston Hyper X is going to cost more than generic name brand memory but regular Kingston shouldn't cost more.

Techzonez Governor Super Moderator Conan's Avatar
    Every memory brand has it's "premium" offering not only Kingston.

Succeded in braking Windo TZ Veteran Dehcbad25's Avatar
    I don't knwo what to vote. Depending on what you compare it too. The calue also will be relative to the computer, for example, a high end memory won't offer you much more if the system doesn't pair up.

I've never had a bad stick of Micron brand memory which reasonably priced.

LINK
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

They say Cosair is reliable. I dunno. Its always being used in performance tests in my local computer newspaper called Digital Times. The latest they used was 2 pairs of Cosair 512MB 533Mhz.

Which brands would be reliable? Becasue I am getting problems with my RAM. I have 4 sticks. 2 Hynix at 128MB and 2 Kingston at 256MB all at PC3200 or also know as 400MHz DDR RAM. I am have problems with 1 of the Hynix sticks. Sometimes the computer won't boot and have have to reseat that piece again and again before it works.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

DId you try changing the order of the sticks?
    I had an eMachines that had problems if the newer RAM that I added was in the first slot. Also, considering you are using PC3200 probably you motherboard support dual-channel. Make sure you are not mixing channels or just disable dual channel (doesn't ive much improvement)
    I bought for myself Geail Memory (DDR433) I think it was GOLD or smething like that. IT was suppoused to be high performance low latency. Can't remember now the model, but I can look it up if you want it. This is actually pretty good RAM...
    OK, while writting I actually pulled up CPU-Z. Part number is CL2-3-4 Ultra 433. There you go. I am actually running it to 200, to pair it with the CPU which is runing 200 too (from 166 that is should be) According to the SPD table it should be 217 MHz, CAS 2.0 RAS# to CAS# 4 (3), RAS# Precharge 4 (3), TRas# 7 (6)> The number between () is the atual value used in the system now.
    humm thinking about it, Master OC, are the settngs right, or should I set it as it is in the SPD table the CL numbers??

The Hynix sticks are older so they are in slot 1 and 2 as default. The Kingston are in 3 and 4. I have swapped slots before but still happens. I am beginning to believe it has to do with the contacts on the stick. I just hope I don't have to remove the pair, I can't seem to stand running a computer below 768MB memory anymore.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

if it is the contacts you can use a really fine sand paper and scratch the contacts. Just a little bit. IF you do it too much, you will completely remove the portective layer and it could get corroted with time.
    An easier and safer way (That I learn from a car support person to clean the contacts of the cigarrette lighter) is to use a pencil eraser To me they say to remove the batery or only use the eraser (be careful with the metal parts) so you don't get shock, but then, that was a car . I woud definetively use the eraser method.
    PS: I had to clean my cigarrette lighter because since I don't smoke, it doesn't get used and hence, it gets dirty. IF you smoke, it also get dirty